Autoimmune diet - what is it?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
Side-tread for not wanting to steal a tread from someone else. TO is eating an autoimmune diet for possibly autoimmune arthritis and avoiding gluten, dairy and sugar. I'm just assuming TO is in the US, but not sure. This is quite the opposite to what doctors recommended my central European mom, and my sister for autoimmune arthritis: avoid too much meat, especially red meat. Lots of fish is fine, lots of veggies, bread is fine. Limit dairy and sugar.

The diet here is very much piece of meat, veggies, starch for dinner and bread twice a day. 'Fancy' stuff like vegan is not something the average village or small town doctor would consider, neither keto, glutenfree unless diagnosed gluten-intolerant. It's just very traditional without any fads.

I find this discrepancy quite interesting and wonder what autoimune or antiinflammatory diet looks like in other countries. Also calling in @neanderthin

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    What does TO mean and yirara, what Country do you live in, Italy? thanks.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Side-tread for not wanting to steal a tread from someone else. TO is eating an autoimmune diet for possibly autoimmune arthritis and avoiding gluten, dairy and sugar. I'm just assuming TO is in the US, but not sure. This is quite the opposite to what doctors recommended my central European mom, and my sister for autoimmune arthritis: avoid too much meat, especially red meat. Lots of fish is fine, lots of veggies, bread is fine. Limit dairy and sugar.

The diet here is very much piece of meat, veggies, starch for dinner and bread twice a day. 'Fancy' stuff like vegan is not something the average village or small town doctor would consider, neither keto, glutenfree unless diagnosed gluten-intolerant. It's just very traditional without any fads.

I find this discrepancy quite interesting and wonder what autoimune or antiinflammatory diet looks like in other countries. Also calling in @neanderthin

My question would be, and this is off-track, are there many obese people in these villages?
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I have multiple autoimmune conditions, Systemic Lupus, Raynauds, Scetloma plus osteoperosis, arthritis and slight calcification on an artery that's considered minor. My doctors are happy with me, all my numbers are Goodland Ifeelfrwat on a whole food plant based diet. I'm my experience, with my body type this is what works.

I think the biggest factor is eating whole real foods,lots of plants and for those who do wat animal,get local, pasture raised and at the least organic. Choose the leanest animals, getadequate omegas fromm7ltiple sources. I had dome a lot of elimination plans and kept journals of trigger foods. I avoided so many tj8ngs but now can eat more of them provided they are not processed or contaminated by chemicals, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I think a Countries focus on an anti-inflammatory diet would probably depend on the overall dialog frequency happening within that County. Saying that, obesity is the driving force for inflammation and disease and I suspect that if a Country has a low (er) incidence of obesity then the focus would be less, in my opinion and probably less focus on nutrition in general when not dealing with major health issues as a nation.

Your meat comment is more nuanced but generally speaking under a microscope most foods, plant and animal, can and do have an inflammatory and anti-inflammatory effect in some way, which generates a reductionist view, dictated simply because that is how western medicine operates. The culprit so to speak in red meat is palmitic acid a fatty acid that contain ceramides which is pro-inflammatory, but actually have very little ceramide content. Palmitic acid is the main fatty acid in human adipose which for the most part is caused by the excess consumption from food, mostly from refined carbohydrates which generate the most ceramide production, palm oil and other oils as well as meat in general. But it's the release of ceramides in human body fat that contribute to inflammation as well as increases in cytokines, interleukins for example, yeah, basically obesity is the problem with the increase in inflammatory diseases.

Of course a whole food diet whether meat based or plant based along with a lifestyle that encompasses a good network of friends and family and traditional cultural activity that promote a good state of mind generally with good sleep habits and of course exercising within this lifestyle and working towards a sound body weight that promotes strength at it's base is probably a good recipe going fwd, or at least this would be my advice. cheers.