Anyone else previously on meds that made you gain weigh?t

Options
Hello,
My name Sue. I don't know why the doctors keep trying to put me on meds πŸ˜’ that make me so hungry 😩 then I'm eating more. I went from 280 to 196 once they took me off one sleep me. Then they put me on another one that made me feel like I'm starving and went to 214 and since I had stopped the new med I've went down to 205. I've found a over the counter sleep aid Oily melatonin plus magnesium which seems to helping.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was on a medication that had the reputation at one point (for several years).

Have you spoken openly with your doctor about those side effects? Sometimes there are alternatives. (I see you're talking about past meds, so maybe you've already successfully done that.)

If you're calorie counting, it's possible to more clearly see that effect happening, IME. Sometimes experimenting with eating timing or food choices can improve the situation - achieve better fullness/satisfaction - even when it's med-related.

IMO, it's also really important to manage mindset. How we think of a thing can literally affect hunger/satiety hormones in our body, surprisingly! (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21574706/)

It's kind of easy to read a list of med side effects, then let anxiety or anticipation make those side effects a bit more likely to occur, subjectively speaking - I've found that to be true for me, at times.

I'm glad you've found a medication that seems to work for you with fewer negative side effects. That should be helpful.