Need plateau tips

Options
I have been trying to lose weight consistently for the past hundred something days and I’ve always had a pattern of ups and downs. Lately even with added exercise I haven’t been able to lose a single pound. I’m doing strength training, cardio, aerobics, but nothing seems to work. My main goal right now is to lose just 1 lb. I watch my calorie intake, but I don’t avoid any certain foods. I just try to make sure I’m not over 2000 calories. I wear a Fitbit and I’m constantly drinking water. The only issue I’ve had with any of this is that Iv had way more stress this month then usual. Are there any tips or tricks that I can get out of this stump?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,197 Member
    Options
    Stress and extra exercise: both can cause water retention masking fat loss on the scale.

How long since you've lost any weight? What is your average calorie intake per day? How accurate is your logging - are you weighing everything? What are your stats?
  • dvdiamond11
    dvdiamond11 Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Plateaus are the most frustrating part of a weight loss journey. Weight loss is not linear as we know. We have ups and downs and then we have the dreaded plateau.
    There are a few things you can do that might work for you.

1. Try eating a bit more. You body may be reacting to your calorie intake and your body is trying like crazy to preserve its fat stores. Eating a bit more can reset your body. Its sounds counterintuitive but it may work for you.
    2. Change your exercise - Hike, bike, swim, different type of aerobic class, completely different weight training program. Use different muscles.
    3. HIIT and Tabata - those can be real plateau breakers. Stopping/slowing and starting with your heart rate up can torch calories.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,390 Member
    Options
    @Flutterydreamer

When is the last time you reset your calorie goal? As you lose weight, and I assume you have since you said 100 days and have had ups and downs, you require less energy to move yourself around. You may have moved from a weigh-loss calorie level to a maintenance level if you have lost weight and not reset your goal.

That part the previous poster wrote about your body "trying like crazy to preserve its fat stores" isn't true. The only thing that can happen if you are under-fueled is that you may actually move your body less which uses less energy. This is just things like tapping your foot; small things. The idea of "starvation mode" isn't real. The way to lose fat is to be in a calorie deficit. There's no way that eating fewer calories somehow makes your body not burn them.

Changing the type of exercise you do won't make a difference either UNLESS it causes you to expend more calories.

The most important thing is to stick to it. It's hard to do, but it does work. Make small changes to your calorie budget, and be absolutely sure you are logging everything consistently, completely, and honestly. It won't hurt to revisit the guided set-up if you've lost weight.

Let us know how things go, because you WILL get past the plateau if you stick to it!