Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Put salt instead of sodium

Options
_Bettino1966_
_Bettino1966_ Posts: 8 Member
Because 99% of the foods have indicated the salt and not the sodium it should be useful to substitute it with the salt. A lot of foods have in the sodium the grams of the salt that is absolutely a mistake.
5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Food label laws vary by country, IMU. Some show sodium, some salt. The database is crowd-sourced, entered by regular users like you and me, and all we can do is enter what's on our product's label. I don't think MFP can do what you're asking, in that context.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Because it varies between countries, I think it would be good to have both fields and an automatic conversion between the fields.

In Belgium (Europe?) the labels always mention salt and I've seen so many food database entries with wrong sodium entries because of it. And conversion is a bit of a pain - I actually downloaded an app that does that, to correct the database entries.
  • Precinct74
    Precinct74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This would be a pretty easy change, surely? Add a salt field, and if people fill that in just divide by 2.5to get the sodium.
  • maury91
    maury91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If a field is not possible a simple button "Convert from salt" would be perfect
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    We appreciate the great suggestion involving the ability to track salt instead of sodium in our program. This is something we hope to add in the future and we will share your feedback with our team.