Back to running after a big weight gain.

Options
Hello everyone and hope your fitness journeys are going really well? I gained 6 stone after giving up running and I went back to overeating again. I weight 16.5 stone and have an arthritic right knee. Ideally I would like to start running again but am unsure as my weight will be a barrier. I am a keen walker and swimmer but found running was the best way to lose weight. Anyone else been in this position? Have a fabulous day!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Walk instead. At your weight and especially with knee issues, running is going to possibly exasperate knee pain or even expedite the need for a replacement . Fatloss is predominately diet so concentrate there.

When you run, you put 4x your weight on your knees and only about 1.5x with walking.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I used to run about 15 years ago until recently. I started running when I got down to 275 and the weight definitely melted off after. I swam and did Elliptical until I lost enough weight where I could run again. I started at 388.6 so I had to lose quite a bit before I could start again. I missed running so much. I'm now just below my goal weight of 235 and have never felt better. Age 40 and I made a crazy comeback.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    I used to run about 15 years ago until recently. I started running when I got down to 275 and the weight definitely melted off after. I swam and did Elliptical until I lost enough weight where I could run again. I started at 388.6 so I had to lose quite a bit before I could start again. I missed running so much. I'm now just below my goal weight of 235 and have never felt better. Age 40 and I made a crazy comeback.
    Damn, that a big loss…

• JaysFan82
    Options
    Thanks! It's like I have a totally new life. Somehow completely pain free. I thought for sure I was going to have knee problems, but as long as I wear my braces on both knees when I run I'm totally fine.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Thanks! It's like I have a totally new life. Somehow completely pain free. I thought for sure I was going to have knee problems, but as long as I wear my braces on both knees when I run I'm totally fine.
    Ok. You know how your body feels. Nothing better than doing an activity you love. There’s a lot to be said for that.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than doing an activity you love. There’s a lot to be said for that.

I'm 18.8 stone | 113 kg | 250 lbs. 171 cm | 5' 7"

I started running again about three weeks ago.

I like to emphasis the psychological/human element in this. The physics of 4x force, stress, etc. are undeniable, however they are not predictors of an outcome for people doing things. People do all kinds of weird and miraculous things.

I love running, as does the original poster and others. Running injuries happen to nearly everyone (Olympians, me, you, etc.) If you want to run, and running is going move you toward living happier, healthier, more focused and conditioned, and being successful in achieving personal goals. Do it! Mix in running. Deal with the realities of your size and condition. We humans heal after injuries. Wearing a helmet and elbow guards while remaining stationary until you are in better position to begin living actively isn't really living. Giving some energy and attention to the part inside of you (inside of me) that can do things, and enjoys doing things, builds healthy positive momentum.

In March 2020 I was super fit and fast when covid changed a lot of things. I got my first running injury. I sat down, ate, gained 7 stone (100 lbs). In someways that worked for me, as I am still upright and breathing. That is not the life I want. So three weeks ago I started running. I hope you figure out how to get moving doing stuff you love, and practice resilience in dealing with challenges as they arise.

I'll be here doing it too.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider jogging in place on a rebounder/small trampoline? It is very gentle on the joints and burns mega-calories.
  • JaysFan82
    Options
    That's fantastic!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • divinehealthusa
    divinehealthusa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Running is a popular physical activity that offers numerous benefits, such as improved cardiovascular health, increased stamina, and stress relief, making it a great choice for individuals seeking an efficient and accessible way to stay active.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Another added benefit of running...Maybe TMI, but for the ladies...In my experience it has also strengthened the bladder muscles. No more accidental leaks from sneezes or urgency to hit the bathroom. BTW 54 female.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options

I've kept with running.

Still running after about five months.
    I've been increasing my monthly run totals at a glacially slow pace (and I run glacially slow)

Each month my total distance is going up about 10% or less. I started 3 days/week, then moved up to 4 days/week.

I still haven't lost any weight. As this healthy routine has become habit, I think I am ready to start food logging again, and start my weight loss.

• mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

I've kept with running.

Still running after about five months.
    I've been increasing my monthly run totals at a glacially slow pace (and I run glacially slow)

Each month my total distance is going up about 10% or less. I started 3 days/week, then moved up to 4 days/week.

I still haven't lost any weight. As this healthy routine has become habit, I think I am ready to start food logging again, and start my weight loss.

Looks like you have a sound plan. I have a similar outlook on running as you’ve stated. I use to always pay attention to the neigh sayers aka running detractors.. injuries, boring, doing intervals(HITT) is better blah blah blah. I’ve decided to each their own. The fact that I can run again after taking off 20+ years and while I deal with me now with cumulative injuries of my life so far I enjoy it somewhat more now. Twice the age of when I stopped, and get satisfaction that people half my age can’t run a single mile let alone some of the trails and races I’ve done over the last 4 years. 5Ks 10ks 10 milers. Remember your heavier older so don’t over do it and walking is a great thing to fall back on if and when injuries happen. I have instances where walking it is for a whole week to let things heal up. And by the way accepted your friend invite.
  • JaysFan82
    edited August 2023
    Options
    That is so great to hear!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    That is so great to hear!

Are you still enjoying running as a person at maintenance weight?