How to lift while bulking ?

Options
How many reps and sets ? How do you know what is heavy enough ? Do I need to make the ugly face / and be shaking ?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,054 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you should be following a well-designed, professionally-produced, progressive program, and it will answer those questions. Figure out your goal (mass gain (hypertrophy), strength gain, endurance, or something else) and look at programs through that lens. Find programs other MFP-ers have used and liked here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

How many reps and sets ?

Without knowing your goals, people here can only give you vague generalities, such as: Low reps with high weight for strength, medium weights and more reps/sets for hypertrophy, even lighter weights and more reps/sets for muscular endurance.

The program you pick should tell you.

How do you know what is heavy enough ?

More vague generalities: Your last reps should be quite challenging, but you should still be able to complete them while maintaining good (safe!) form. Generally, going to actual failure is too far.
    Do I need to make the ugly face / and be shaking ?

100% optional, but acceptable in most environments if that's your jam.

Grunting and dropping weights are generally a bad idea, will make you look foolish, unless in a specific type of gym and doing a specific type of lifting where those are OK. If you're at home, grunt all you like until your housemates complain, but think through the long-term consequences for your floor and your equipment before you start dropping weights.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    How many reps and sets ? How do you know what is heavy enough ? Do I need to make the ugly face / and be shaking ?

There isn't a definitive answer with the information you have given as far as volume
    (reps x sets) needed for you as a individual. This a nuanced answer to say the least.

Volume will be dependent on if you are untrained or not and certainly more info of your recent lifting history for how sensitive you are to elicit your goal would be useful.

The link @AnnPT77 was kind enough to post isn't anything I would consider well written programming in the exception of one or two at best, but if you have the equipment available and think you could adhere to one you fancy, it is at the very least structured though how appropriately for you is another subject.

As far as how hard should you perform lifts, this is once again nuanced. I would certainly highly suggest you run something with auto regulation in mind if possible. From glancing at the list "The Bridge" has autoregulation and is well written for most lifters with 0-8 months of lifting experience. Under the right conditions you should experience a well rounded response to most goals.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Use a good, proven program. Look up Fierce 5, it’s really good and lays it all out for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    my personal opinion is at least 16 sets per bodypart, with an 8-12 rep range with legs occasionally up to 20-25 reps

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    my personal opinion is at least 16 sets per bodypart, with an 8-12 rep range with legs occasionally up to 20-25 reps

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    yes 16-20 is a good goal. That is PER WEEK just so OP understands

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,502 Member
    Options
    10-20 working sets per muscle group per week. 10 is fine for a beginner. Closer to 20 if you've been lifting for several years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwv3JqOUqWs
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the ugly face is a prerequisite. This ensures the intensity of your lifts and rep range coincides with the weight used where your pretty much a rep away from failure when your finished a set and don't forget the negative. cheers