People on carnivore, keto, paleo, etc. -- what do you eat when you're sick?

Options
siberiantarragon
siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
edited February 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Just curious. A medication I recently started made me extremely sick this weekend and the only thing I could eat without throwing up was saltines and Gatorade. I was able to eat a couple of other things this afternoon but still only bland, sugary types of foods. If you're on one of those diets and you get food poisoning or something, what do you eat? Meat?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I'm none of those, however, I almost always eat exclusively eggs when I'm sick. I find them really easy to eat and easy on my stomach when not feeling well.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    I'm none of those, however, I almost always eat exclusively eggs when I'm sick. I find them really easy to eat and easy on my stomach when not feeling well.

That's a good idea, I was thinking of having ramen (just the plain noodles without flavor packet) and eggs for dinner tonight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: this is not at all on point so feel free to skip :lol:

When I have a cold and am congested, the only thing I want is spicy Asian soup and Yogi ginger tea. This opens up my sinuses, soothes my throat, and the flavor gets through.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,423 Member
    Options
    When I'm really sick or nauseous I first look if there's anything at home that I somehow fancy (likely nothing), then drag myself to the supermarket and buy whatever looks edible at that moment. Might be a curried sausage with liquorice, cactus fruit lemonade and white toast, or some other odd combinations. Doesn't matter, as long as I'm able to get some food in all is fine.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question. I don't have a highly restricted diet and keep Gatorade and real ginger ale on hand specifically for stomach viruses. Dry toast and (plain, unsweetened) applesauce are also go-tos. I do know friends who make their own electrolyte solution, but usually when I or people in my house are sick I have no interest in making more work for myself. I also don't sweat only eating a few calories or even none when sick if it's only a day or two - I worry more about hydration and know that I'll have an appetite again soon.

There's also broths or mild soups (chicken noodle is magical).

I don't know if it would work for the specific reaction you're having, but for pregnancy-related nausea I often take Vitamin B6 and Unisom. Real ginger is also soothing - ginger tea would probably be acceptable to most people.

I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,323 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's makes some semi-decent ramen cups. I try to keep a couple miso ramen cups in the pantry just in case I get sick. It's a salty broth and easy-to-digest noodle. I usually have to remember to look at the best-by date from time to time and eventually make myself eat one and then replace it. That's OK - it means I haven't been sick, and if I never get sick again, I'll happily eat a couple extra cups of instant ramen.

I also keep Chantaboon rice stick "noodles" in the pantry. Easy to prepare - just soak in warm water for a while, then use for many things. A simple broth with some of these and maybe a couple other things is probably even a better option than instant ramen, but it does take a little more prep. If I soak more than enough for some broth, I can save the rest and if I feel a little better, I can fry some up in a pan and... mmmmmm.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I'm really sick, my greatest concern is providing myself with enough calories and nutrition to help me recover and get well...I don't really give a rats *kitten* about any specific diet at that point. I mostly eat Ramen when I'm really sick.