Is Porridge or oats beneficial for weight gain?

Options
Hi, I have always wondered if Porridge (Preferably of oats) is good for weight gain? Actually I just starting taking excessive amount of porridge (3 times a day) as it's easily available for me at the moment. Just want to know if I am on the right track or just wasting my time. Thank you!
Tagged:

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,502 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    If you are ingesting more calories than your TDEE, you will gain weight.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have always wondered if Porridge (Preferably of oats) is good for weight gain? Actually I just starting taking excessive amount of porridge (3 times a day) as it's easily available for me at the moment. Just want to know if I am on the right track or just wasting my time. Thank you!

Add some half and half and butter to it and it'll have plenty of calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Cook it full fat milk and top it with sources of fats, like peanut butter, nuts, or high GI fruits and honey. And add in protein powder.

Below is an example of my oats.

p85bjn1me3uf.jpg
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I find oats very satiating so I wouldn’t particularly use them for adding calories. But sure if you add fat and sugar to em to increase calorie density then fine. At the nursing home where I work we add double cream and honey to residents porridge and it’s a calorie bomb!
  • michaelsmithpa
    michaelsmithpa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use oatmeal a lot to up my calories. Typically between meals. I usually mix in nonfat Greek yogurt and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Sometimes I microwave it other times I eat it cold like a pudding.Sometimes a banana or frozen strawberries.
  • ranaluqman2003
    ranaluqman2003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find oats very satiating so I wouldn’t particularly use them for adding calories. But sure if you add fat and sugar to em to increase calorie density then fine. At the nursing home where I work we add double cream and honey to residents porridge and it’s a calorie bomb!

I am actually used to it that's why I can easily eat 2-3 meals of porridge a day (3 meals is 2500+ calories according to myfitnesspal). I am actually gonna weight myself today to see if I made any progress. My internet research says that it has a lot of calories, for me personally it's easy to eat.