Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Nutrition label scanner

Options
Are use a prepared meal plan for weight loss. And none of the foods are logged in your database. I don’t have a problem adding these manually, but it would be so much easier if I could scan the nutrition label to get all of the nutrition information logged in.
2 votes

Already Offered · Last Updated

Replies

• SCohTT
    SCohTT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This would be amazing!!
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,183 MFP Staff
    Options
    As Premium member, ​you can scan a barcode using our latest Android or iOS apps. If the barcode is not associated with a food in our database, you will have the option to create a new food item linked to that barcode for other Premium users of MyFitnessPal.

Please enter all available nutrition details completely and accurately. You've just made barcode scanning better for millions of MyFitnessPal users!

Please note that foods you elect to share publicly can not be deleted from your My Foods list at a later time, as other users may be relying on these items by then. Publicly shared food items "belong" to the last user to edit or update them. Finally, if you wish to share a food with the public database, you must do so at the time of creation. It is not possible to share an existing personal food with the public database, later.
  • katanfield
    katanfield Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    this is obviously a feature that would benefit all premium members. to create a food that doesn’t exist in the MFP database by scanning the nutritional facts label rather than typing in the label. What’s the hang up?
  • katanfield
    katanfield Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not a HELPFUL response from MFP Staff. By now, Premium users should be able to scan standard FDA nutrition facts labels to create a food that doesn’t exist in the MFP database. To not allow it, discourages members from taking the time to add full, accurate documentation of foods to the database, and allows for typographic errors when entering which both affect the integrity of the MFP database and its future usefulness.
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    durden wrote: »
    Please enter all available nutrition details completely and accurately.

I'm not sure you are understanding the request (or maybe I'm not). Entering the nutrition details is currently a manual process having to type the quantity of each nutrient one-by-one.

As I'm understanding the request, MFP should include a feature to scan the nutrition label and, using Optical Character Recognition, automatically enter the nutrition details. Here is a video (0:28) from three years ago demonstrating the feature from one of your competitors.

Several of your competitors' apps have this feature and it is incredibly useful and time-saving for users, not to mention the increased quality of each entry and your food database as a whole.