Will a weekly takeaway threaten my weightloss?

Options
Hello!
I have only been back on MFP for 2 weeks and have lost 5.5 lb which I'm chuffed about especially as I had a gain halfway through! My massive downfall is takeaways and prior to this we would easily have 3 a week which is awful I know. Now I am struggling to give them up completely and was considering allowing myself one takeaway a week (Saturday night xfactor must have ;-)) but don't want to threaten my weight loss. I'm obviously not talking about pigging out like mad just a small pizza or chow mein.
What do people think? Will this stop me losing weight as will go without if it will?

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I think what I've read on here from a lot of people is that it will help you not to binge if you allow yourself that takeout once a week or what not. myself, I'm thinking once a month. but I don't think it will slow you down.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories, no. I eat out weekly and just make sure it fits into my calories for the day. No effect on my weight loss so far :)
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    As the old saying goes "It isn't what you do 1 day a week that gets you it is the other 6." Because of a special situation this past month we ended up eating out several times in the last couple of weeks. If you choose right you can do it and still stay at or under your calories. Cooking at home is far easier to manage calories and such but you can do it out as well. I found it much easier to type in what I was thinking of having into the phone app for MFP and looking at the calorie counts beforehand.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    if you're eating at a deficit, you're fine. You could eat takeaway every day and not harm your weight loss if you budget it into your calorie goal. It's up to you how healthy or clean you want to eat, but in terms of weight loss only, you're good.

It's also fun to start finding new things that you also love and to replace old habits as you decide you want to do away with or limit them, so don't be afraid to be open to that as well.

Congratulations on your progress so far!

PS Tonight we're making pizza with zucchini/cheese crust and cauliflower crust!

Here is a fun article with a ton of pizza ideas - everything from premade crust and meat to Garlic Coconut Cream sauce and Sun-Dried Tomatoes or whatever craziness you can think of:

http://greatist.com/health/make-healthier-pizza
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's about averages.

I don't know what you mean about threaten... will it stop it? hinder it? Look at your calories as a weekly total. If you are under weekly you'll still lose weight.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it in your calories to eat out, go for it. Remember that you can eat and "bank" some calories from the day before or after too. And there is always doing some cardio to burn off the excess. Worst case scenario, for that 1 day of takeout, you will be eating at a maintenance level rather than weight loss but on the bigger picture, that takeout weekly helps you stay on track for the rest of the week so overall, its a win.

Got for it. I eat takeout all the time and I've lost all the weight eating out all the time.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same - be great all week but the x factor is my time to chill with a takeaway and wine :) am definitely interested to see the replies. Best of luck,
    valentine

p.s. at least dominos are not sponsoring it anymore - I used to have serious cravings for pizza with the continuous ads lol