frustrated - 8 weeks only down 2lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,639 Member
    Options
    laqwm72 wrote: »
    I had used MFP to lose 130 lbs a few years ago counting calories. After losing my husband I just wasn’t able to put the effort in and have gained about 80 lbs over the last 2 1/2 years. I started back counting calories for about 2 weeks and was very frustrated to find it didn’t work for me. My sister went to see her Dr and was put on a low carb diet. I decided to give it a try after doing a bit of research and found that now that I am over 50, it is normal that doing what I did before to lose weight may not work. Low carb is definitely working for me. I would suggest talking to your doctor or maybe a dietitian or nutritionist to get some suggestions for yourself. Best of luck to you.

I think this is a very reasonable idea, but want to point out that depending on where someone is located, the term "nutritionist" can have different legal requirements. In many parts of the US, for example, any random person can call themselves a "nutritionist" without any special educational or experiential credentials at all. Some may have some kind of certificate from as little as a few-hours online course, or something like that.

Before relying on someone's dietary advice, check out their education and experience. Here, "registered dietitian" is a stronger sign of qualifications, but that may not be true everywhere, either.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    laqwm72 wrote: »
    I had used MFP to lose 130 lbs a few years ago counting calories. After losing my husband I just wasn’t able to put the effort in and have gained about 80 lbs over the last 2 1/2 years. I started back counting calories for about 2 weeks and was very frustrated to find it didn’t work for me. My sister went to see her Dr and was put on a low carb diet. I decided to give it a try after doing a bit of research and found that now that I am over 50, it is normal that doing what I did before to lose weight may not work. Low carb is definitely working for me. I would suggest talking to your doctor or maybe a dietitian or nutritionist to get some suggestions for yourself. Best of luck to you.
    lowering carbs is just lowering calories.