BIG difference in required calories/day

Options
So according to MFP's calculator, someone my age/height/weight/exercise level can lose 1.5-2lbs/week by maintaining a daily calorie intake of 1320. But when I calculatde my TDEE on fitnessfrog.com it says I should take in 2300! That's not a small difference... anyone have any idea why there's such a huge gap?? I know eating too little can sabotage the weight loss by starving the body and slowing the metabolism, so I want to find a healthy calorie limit for myself. Thanks!

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    With 45 lbs to go, 2 lbs/week is too aggressive of a weight loss goal IMHO. 1 lb/week combined with resistance training would be best to maintain lean mass.

You need to run a deficit of 500 calories/day to lose 1 lb/week, so that's correct as far as a calorie goal. MFP won't tell you that's not a good idea, but the math is right. A 1 lb/week weight loss would put your goal at 1800 calories/day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't a TDEE calculator so you are comparing apples and oranges!
    TDEE includes exercise calories and MFP doesn't.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't a TDEE calculator so you are comparing apples and oranges!
    TDEE includes exercise calories and MFP doesn't.
    ^This as well. Your TDEE already includes all of your exercise, where as MFP sets it up to add the calories you get from added exercise above your normal daily activity.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) You're at 1.5/2lb a week. TDEE assumes TDEE-20%, which is a more reasonable 1 lb a week in average... so you're comparing apples and oranges.
    2) With MFP you're supposed to add your exercise calories and eat them back. With TDEE they are included in the calculation.

Done the right way, they're actually pretty similar, except TDEE-20% makes you lose less/eat more when you have less to lose.