Hot Yoga

Options
Hi everyone

new to the site, trying to get used to the setup here (have also used fitday.com). I'm trying to investigate how many calories are burned off during a typical bikram or hot yoga class, I've seen sources that say approximately 630 calories in an hour.

Comments? Insights?

Cheers.

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    it really depends....i finally broke down and bought a HRM....what i have found is, i can burn different amounts doing the same workout EVEN if i feel like i worked as hard both times. there are a million factors we can count for....630 seems like a lot tho for yoga....if its anything like the one i did, i only burned 78 calories in like 30min

oh yea height and weight factor in too....im 5'3 135lb
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm all for yoga, but I've heard that any activity that raises your heart rate level for more than an hour in a hot environment (i.e. running outside in the heat, bikram yoga...) actually lowers your immune system for 24 hours afterward, leaving you susceptible to get sick.

I'd say to do this every so often, like twice a month so as not to burn yourself out. I've read up on it, and i really depends on what you put into it. And like neenaleigh said, height and weight are also factors.

Heart Rate Monitors are a godsend, if you get the right kind. No need to find a fancy one, just one that monitors time below, in, and above target heart rate, duration of aerobic and anaerobic zones, and calories burnt. Mine has really opened my eyes and has helped me become more accurate with calories in/out per day, and tracking my fat burning zone (which is what I'm concerned with).

Sorry for a bit of rambling, hope this helps! Cheers to you as well