Gain or lose weight?

Options
sjl0210
sjl0210 Posts: 31 Member
I keep going back and forth with my goal. For some months I just want to add size, others I want to lose fat and lose weight. I feel this affects my progress a lot, since I keep changing my goal. I know its personal preference what body you want to achieve, but do you have any tips for me? I have always wanted to lose fat, at the moment I'm at 22% fat mass, 77,2kg, 74% muscle mass, BMI 25,2. What would you do if you had these numbers? Go for lower weight, try to lose fat, lower the BMI/fat mass or just keep gaining and build muscles?

Any advice for what kind of workouts I should do with the goal you suggest?
All help, helps. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,549 Member
    Options
    There is no way to succeed at meeting your goals if you don't have them. So I reckon that's the first thing you really need to do is develop a good set of goals.

If I had a BMI over 25, and I did, I'd try to lose weight and fat, and I did. If you want to also build muscle, you can do that too. Fuel yourself appropriately, and do strength training. If you need help developing a routine, hire a good trainer at least for a session or two. Then after you have those goals, get working on them and STICK TO IT.
  • sjl0210
    sjl0210 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    There is no way to succeed at meeting your goals if you don't have them. So I reckon that's the first thing you really need to do is develop a good set of goals.

If I had a BMI over 25, and I did, I'd try to lose weight and fat, and I did. If you want to also build muscle, you can do that too. Fuel yourself appropriately, and do strength training. If you need help developing a routine, hire a good trainer at least for a session or two. Then after you have those goals, get working on them and STICK TO IT.

I agree. Its just my mind wanting to get lean and building real muscles. But I guess I need to start somewhere, cant have it all instantly. So im thinking I gonna lose some weight atm, try get better bmi and fat mass. Thanks.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    There are two great methods to appear more muscular:

1. Get bigger muscles
    2. Lose the fat that's covering the muscles you already have

For most people, the second option will cause a change in appearance much faster than the first, as it can take months or years to gain a significant amount of muscle, but only weeks of losing fat to make a visible difference in appearance.

At your fat % (don't even worry about BMI atm), you'll look more muscular in the mirror by concentrating on losing the extra weight first. Don't ignore your muscles, keep showing them love through protein and lifting. But when you cut your fat down from 22% to say 15%, you'll be amazed how much more muscular your mirror self appears.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Obviously you want more muscle mass but looking more muscular by lowering your body fat gives you more immediate and desired results and you like that instant gratification and now you have to make a decision, I get it. To me, you have your answer in your question.

I had a similar decision to make and opted for increased muscle mass, I'm a man and want to appear muscular and more fit as I age because it can go the other way fast as we age. A muscle gaining recomp was in order and that's what I've adopted as my normal dietary-health regime. Pick a goal and make it happen, imo.