Can you kindly look at my food diary for logging errors?

13»

Replies

• JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Another comment on meat: In some countries meats gets pumped up with water (and other stuff) that doesn't have calories. When you cook it you end up with a pan full of water, and oil spatters everywhere. So if the packaging says you bought 100gr of chicken breast at x calories, then that's including 10-20gr of water. Or 90-80gr of actual chicken breast. Here the calorie information on the packaging will be more correct than on the USDA database/google. Also, sometimes some additives are added to meat that do have calories, and often more than the actual meat. Again, here the packaging calories will be more correct than anything online. Provided the calories are provided uncooked.

Thanks! That does raise a little question that I have. When you get a ground beef that is 80/20... if you drain/rinse the grease, do you still log like normal? I normally do, but it seems like a lot of the fat would go down the drain. Of course, I'm not sure how one would measure that.
  • JustaNoob
    Thanks everyone for all the input! I got some good ideas and things to think about. Closing back up my diary now, just because I feel like I'm reluctant to log honestly when it's open for the world to see. :D
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,047 Member
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    Another comment on meat: In some countries meats gets pumped up with water (and other stuff) that doesn't have calories. When you cook it you end up with a pan full of water, and oil spatters everywhere. So if the packaging says you bought 100gr of chicken breast at x calories, then that's including 10-20gr of water. Or 90-80gr of actual chicken breast. Here the calorie information on the packaging will be more correct than on the USDA database/google. Also, sometimes some additives are added to meat that do have calories, and often more than the actual meat. Again, here the packaging calories will be more correct than anything online. Provided the calories are provided uncooked.

Thanks! That does raise a little question that I have. When you get a ground beef that is 80/20... if you drain/rinse the grease, do you still log like normal? I normally do, but it seems like a lot of the fat would go down the drain. Of course, I'm not sure how one would measure that.
    Weigh raw

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,121 Member
    She has a point about the rendered fat not getting eaten.

Whether the point really matters in the big picture (or not) is debatable. But it is a point.

There is not real answer other than it would be a source of error. You can try to guess.

Food data central has at least one entry for ground beef that is rinced before eating.

If really really interested you could weigh raw and log based on that, collect the pan drippings, cool them, skim the fat, weigh the skimmed fat and then remove the corresponding Calories

I'm pretty precise with my logging (or at least used to be) and have run several experiments for the *kitten* of it. I have yet to do the one I described. But I could see me doing it if I was
    a frequent consumer of ground beef 🤷‍♂️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

If you discard the grease from ground beef, use a cooked entry. When I grill hamburgers, I weigh it cooked and use a cooked entry.

Ditto for bacon. When I am using raw bacon AND its fat in a recipe, I use the raw entry. When I'm having cooked bacon on something, I use a cooked entry.
  • JustaNoob
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If you discard the grease from ground beef, use a cooked entry. When I grill hamburgers, I weigh it cooked and use a cooked entry.

Ditto for bacon. When I am using raw bacon AND its fat in a recipe, I use the raw entry. When I'm having cooked bacon on something, I use a cooked entry.

I'll try that. At the end of the day it is not a huge deal but I like that Costco 80/20 for cheap.