a month without logging and eating more...

Options
due to a variety of factors including injury, lack of sleep and so on, a month ago i stopped exercising and started having minor binges and as far as i can tell, went over on my calories every day.

for reference, i'm 5' 4", and to lose half a pound a week, i am supposed to eat just 1250 calories per day, and i usually eat 6 200-calorie meals per day, so it's super easy to go over without exercise.

so today, i got on the scale with a great deal of concern, figuring if i put on 4 or 5 pounds, i'd deal with it and hoping i hadn't put on more.

the big surprise - i only put on 2 pounds!

every week for the past month (including last sunday night), i had at least one day where i ate 5 servings of pistachios, and i often had single serving 1-ounce bags of peanuts on top of meals and extra quest bars. then there was the cheese - extra sharp cheddar, and i didn't even weigh it, but i'd say at least 2 ounces per time. and you know what? i enjoyed my overeating, and now i'm happily back to normal with some exercise (still working around the injury) and weighing food and logging.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've done that. Bodies are weird. Be prepared for a jump Up in weight now that you're back in a "deficit."

Let's call it a refeed and move on, shall we? :wink:
    correct. Hence why people will be in a deficit and then get out of the deficit for a week and then the scale goes down they don’t understand that the body doesn’t work very fast and what you’re seeing on the scale is usually a product of something that happened a week or two before and then they figure that adding calories made them lose fat so there’s a lot of confusion there.

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    So true, tomcustombuilder and cmriverside. It's just like the mail delivery around here. It takes 10 days for the mail, and a refeed to show up on the scale. Return to sender. Address unknown.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    So true, tomcustombuilder and cmriverside. It's just like the mail delivery around here. It takes 10 days for the mail, and a refeed to show up on the scale. Return to sender. Address unknown.
    Ha!

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I clicked on this thread.

Even tho I feel like I should know the answer (and usually do) I'm still always perplexed when I KNOW I've over mindlessly eaten and should have gained but have maintained instead and then up goes the scale the next week.

(I really need to stop mindlessly eating :))

@zebasschick Yay on the 2 lbs and boo on the injury! Feel better :)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a delayed trend for me too, in both directions.
    I've been more diligent the last month (small deficit though) and only now had the trend bend down again.
    Whereas in November I ate and ate, enjoying myself while traveling (breakfast buffet, dinner at restaurants...) and didn't notice a real upwards trend till December.

I mean, i don't want to depress you! It might not get to the full 4 or 5lbs you expected (my weight definitely didn't increase as much as it should have mathematically, I think my metabolism was boosted), but be prepared if the scale edges upwards some more the next weeks 🙂

PS I read something here in the boards about nuts not containing as many calories as we thought, something about not digesting it all or needing energy to digest them? Can't quite remember.