How Close Do you Go on Allowed Calories?

Options

Replies

• t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    i like being under im not supposed to go over on the diet im on.. i did today but only by 50! but i have worked hard today so im sure its fine :)
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I am never but NEVER close to my stated calories. I also never eat BACK the exercise calories. What is the point--you are doing this to lose weight!

The exercise helps you look better as you lose weight. More muscle=less saggy body.

And you get to feel pretty badass when you realize how much stronger you are and how much more endurance you have.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    +/- 100 cals. I pay closer attention to weekly averages.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I try to stay -100/+300 because I set a reasonable goal, not a flaming limbo bar to go under.

Ha!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Some days I go over some days I am a lot under. I just listen to my body. If I'm honestly/truly hungry I eat. Also..I do not eat back my exercise calories. It just works for me.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie GOAL, it's what you SHOULD be aiming for, not aim to be under that

Agreed.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I try to get as close as I can when I'm cooking, but I leave myself a buffer of around 100-150 calories when I go to a non-chain restaurant. I've been going over lately, but never close to the extra 500 I'd need to hit maintenance and it's been a holiday/my birthday. I deserve cake.

hAE92756B.gif
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I usually leave between 100-300 calories a day. Mainly because I do a few little things that don't make it onto my diary. Mainly at work if someone bring in homemade bread or treats, I'll take a little piece or my coffee (I don't count how much creamer I put in). But I also walk 10 minutes to and from my car at work, and then another 10 min to and from my car on campus which might be a little something but whatever. I just leave the 100-300 calories to play it safe for days like that.
    The whole eating your exercise calories back vs. not eating them back is one of those topics that will stir up arguments and such. Honestly, I think both sides have good points. If you eat them back, you are sticking the the deficit you committed to by joining the site, ex: mine is 1 lb a week, so by eating back my exercise calories it doesn't change that I'm still sticking to that deficit I set it for. I've seen many sites that emphasize that the diet is honestly the biggest part to losing the weight. Someone could get on here and not exercise at all but do the dieting and still reach their goal weight. Just that deficit alone, you'll still lose the weight. But those who choose NOT to eat back the calories- they will either just lose faster or, if they don't eat enough, their body will resist losing. But if it works for them and they lose faster, I don't think people should start insulting them and calling them names (aka: "rabbits") if it works for them. I, personally, am already struggling with a plateau since it's my last 10 lbs so I eat back my calories because I don't want my body to start resisting the weight loss by not having enough calories. I've always eaten my exercise calories back and I've lost 44 lbs- it's stayed off too. But some things work for others.
  • supermuslimgirl
    supermuslimgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble getting all my calories without going over in everything else!! Any advise I am trying not to do too many carbs . my deficit today is 756 I am new here I am 5foot 4 and weigh 200lbs. i intend to do this the healthy way this is my first ever choice to eat healthy.

this was today

Lactancia - Lactose Free Milk 1% Canada, 0.5 cup
    Wholesome Sweetners - Organic Raw Blue Agave, 1 tsp (7g) 
    No Name - Premium Cocoa Powder, 1 tsp 
    Raw - Avacado 1/2, 1/2 raw 75 grams
    Lunch
    Easy Eats - Sardines In Tomato Sauce, 56 g 
    Raw - Pumpkin Seeds, 2 Tbsp 
    Pc Organics (Canada) - Field Greens Salad Mix, 78 grams (1/4 of package) 
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices
    Great Value - Apple Cider Vinegar, 0.5 tbsp 
    Oil - Olive, 0.5 tsp
    Tomato - Tomato Slice, 2 slice (15 g) 
    Cheese - Cheddar, 1 slice (1 oz)
    Dinner
    Butter - Salted, 1 pat (1" sq, 1/3" high)
    Artic Garden - Mix Oriental, 1 tasse
    Generic - Two Egg Whites Cooked, 4 egg whites large
    Snacks
    Trident - Watermelon Twist Gum, 1 piece 
    Yogi - Egyptian Licorace Tea, 1 tea bag
    oh and a tbsp of chia seeds
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Usually, +/-50. Some days though I try to exact, down to manipulating grams off my chicken to meet it. But, not because I think you have to be that exact, but because I get really excited when I hit 1800 even.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 1200 calorie which is my limit.. and also try not to eat back the calories lost by exercise.. I am just 5 feet tall so I guess its okay. I joined fitnesspal recently but was using some different app before and lost 4 kgs so far.. :):flowerforyou:
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I'm generally netting 200 calories under my daily goal during the week, but I always go way over on Saturday/Sunday.

My weekly goal is usually within 200 calories +/-.
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at least underneath my actual goal. I usually end up 25 - 100 under. I don't eat back any exercise calories unless I've done a lot of work that day, and then only part of it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I tend to be fairly far under, but I know on the weekends I'm going to be pretty far *over*. I used to keep track on a spreadsheet and found that it was all balancing out and averaging around my calorie goal for the course of a week. That's what works best for me. :)
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I almost never hit my goal, some days I am over but most I am way under. I go more off of how I feel and since I feel good and am not hungry I figure it works. Also I set my goals on MFP a little low when I realized I was going to be coming in under so often that way my weight loss stays at a reasonable amount. I know people on here talk about gaining the weight back if you lose it too fast but the bigger you are the faster it will come off in the beginning. I have come to the conclusion that successful weight loss is all about finding what works for you, that you can sustain and ignoring all of the hype and debate from the different camps.
  • ByzantineByron
    Options
    I think it's a bit strange for me. Typically most days I go about 400-500 under and some days I've been as much as 700 under, but I set my target as 0.5kg a week so I like to think I'm just hitting the next target up.

Typically it'll be between 1300-1500 calories a day for me. I suffer from CFS so exercise is out of the question (before anyone says, I've tried, I try a couple of times every 5-6 months on average and the post exertion malaise usually puts me out of work for 2-3 days) and I try to ensure that I've got enough of a deficit to cover the fact that I do next to no exercise and my days usually consist of working and sleeping.

It's strange, and probably the wrong way to do things but I've lost 9lbs in 4 weeks and my body is no longer feeling the need for a big McDonalds for breakfast or takeaway for dinner, even with the odd cheat day allowed.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat all of my calories and most of the time eat back approx 50-60% of my exercise calories.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty bad lately because on working days I can only sync my fitbit when I get home, so can often end up with an extra 600 cals to try and fit in before bed. I'm making an effort to get within 100cals of my goal now though.
  • sirduckbutt
    sirduckbutt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always end up being a little bit under my goal. Like, 20-30 calories.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I Set The"Slowest" Rate In MFP And I Try To Eat About Goal -50 To 100 Calories If I Don't Work Out.
    If I Do Work Out And I Am Sure Of The Burns I Try To Eat 50-75% Of Those Calories Back.
    At The ENd of The month I Want To Show That I Am Averaging Right Between My BMR And My TDEE.

Slow And Steady Wins The Race!