need meal ideas...

Options
We haven't really been able to nix the box food yet...

For a couple with a 16 month old and when usually at least one of us doesn't get home until 7 most nights, what are some good healthy food ideas? We're getting bored with what we know...

Replies

• abbiez
    abbiez Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite go to meals:

1/2 c black beans
    1/4 c reduced fat cheddar cheese
    2 tbsp salsa

Mix it all up and heat it in the microwave.
    I love it because its easy to take to work and quick.
    I usually add 1/4 of an avocado, cubed, after I microwave it.
    I usually just have this and some fruit or veggies for lunch.

Maybe add some grilled chicken to make it a dinner?
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    There are many great recipes in the Recipe Forum under Message boards. I have found the following also useful:

www.hungry-girl.com

www.eatingwell.com

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Good Luck!
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been using the website eatbetteramerica.com. There are 30 minutes or less recipes and recipes for 2 people. What I have made so far has been pretty good and most of the recipes are all ready in the database here and the ones that are not have all of the nutrition info there so you can add it. Good luck!!
  • laurenpence
    laurenpence Posts: 147
    Options
    Get the pampered chef cook book for meals done in 29 minutes or less. I love this cook book and alot of it is really healthy! I haven't cooked any of the fattening stuff yet and I probably won't. I made artichoke chicken last night for dinner and for the meal is only took about 25 minutes and it was 320 calories!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a great idea so you don't have to do anything during the week but heat dinner up! During the weekend, perhaps on a Sunday, cook up some chicken breasts for the week, a big pot of brown rice, black beans (not canned, way to much sodium, buy in bulk, soak, rinse, soak, rinse and boil then simmer, delish! You'll love them far better than canned), boil some eggs for the week. Also preparing your greens for the week for salads makes it far easier and chop up all the veggies as well. This is great for lunches and dinner during the week. Even breakfast can be make quickly with these premade items:wink:

Then you've got chicken already cooked up to toss in with the rice and veggies, or do a stir fry with veggies & rice, micro a baked potato for a change of pace or sweet potato to go along with a nice hearty salad with some protein tossed in it (eggs, tuna, precooked chicken etc), see where this is going? :tongue:

It saves a ton of time by taking time out over the weekend, perhaps when your 16 month old is sleeping, or you could have hubby cooking or just toss things in the oven etc. while you are all playing. Lots of ways to make it work. You could also cook up casseroles for the week, healthy versions of eggplant lasana, crockpots are a treasure when you're gone all day.

Tons of crockpot recipes in the archives if you just put in slowcooker or crockpot in the search function here on MFP you'll get lots of ideas that will help out alot by having a meal ready when you all get home. Just a bit of prep time in the a.m or the night before.

Good luck,
    It CAN BE DONE:drinker: :flowerforyou:
    Becca
  • toomuchtohold
    Options
    Yummo!! that sounds great! Im going to have to give it a try, I love beans ♥.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    cookinglight.com You can search by meal, protein, method.
    myrecipes.com
    Also any health magazine website will have a recipe section.
    Self has one, Women's Health, Women's Fitness have websites that have healthy recipes.