Negative calorie adjustment on Fitbit

Options
Can someone in plain English explain if I should have negative calorie disabled or enabled please.

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I’ll try!

MFP assumes you will achieve a certain level of activity and calorie burn (based on your activity level setting) and sets your target calories accordingly. If if you are normally active and set your activity level to active, all good. You will probably be burning the extra calories MFP gave you.

If you have a lazy day and don’t allow negative calorie adjustments, MFP still lets you have the calories it assumed you would be burning. If you allow negative calorie adjustments, MFP takes the calories it gave you back.

What I have chosen is to set my activity level to sedentary, even though I’m not, with no negative adjustment. I start earning extra calories at about 2000 steps, and it’s nice incentive for me. Negative calorie adjustments seem punitive, like “YOU DIDN’T STEP. NO SOUP FOR YOU!”

I know others like it!

• scattyannie88
    scattyannie88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you could not get my head around it xx
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I leave it off. They irritate me!

My suggestion is to enter your stats on MFP for "sedentary." In this case, there mostly won't be many negative corrections, mostlyadditions for your level of activity.

You can read these both, if you want to become an expert:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039592171-Fitbit-FAQ-and-Troubleshooting

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032272152-Should-I-turn-on-Negative-Calorie-Adjustments-
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If your activity level is set to sedentary it's likely you won't get negative adjustments if you have them enabled...they can come in handy when you have higher activity levels set in MFP and you have an off day here and there...but even then I would personally just eat normally and chalk it up to a one-off. If one were getting negative adjustments frequently it really just means they have their activity level set too high in MFP and they need to adjust that down.