Hi, I'm new. Just hit the big 50 & want to lose some weight & reduce my cholesterol!

Options
Hi everyone, nice to meet you all. :) I just hit the big 50 & was invited to have a GP health check last Friday where I discovered that my cholesterol is 6.8. I've been given 6 months to get it down through diet & exercise before being put on statins. Started off at 14 stone 2 & already down to 13 stone 13lb. Ideally I want to lose another 2 1/2 to 3 stone. I'm 5ft 8in so going much lower would be too much. Is anyone else here because of high cholesterol? <3

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,905 Member
    Options
    I was.

Then I lost weight, and now my cholesterol is solidly normal (and has been for nearly 8 years since). Actually, it got into the normal range for me after about the first 25 or so pounds of loss, around half of what I needed to lose to be at an appropriate weight. I'm substantially older, though: 59-60 when losing, 67 now.

If you're not active, adding exercise can also help with blood lipid levels. If you don't get many fruits/vegetables - most people don't - that may also help.

If you have genetic factors for high cholesterol - i.e., if you have older people in your line who have high cholesterol even if not overweight/inactive - some of those things may be less effective. I am lucky: I don't have major genetic factors.

I'd suggest you wait and see about a good weight for you until you get closer. It's hard to tell from farther away, and what's right changes over time (not so much age, as body composition - how much muscle we have relative to fat . . . most people lose muscle mass as they age, but that's within our individual control, so I won't make assumptions about you).
  • debhammond21
    debhammond21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good Evening! I’m new here too. I’ve used Fitness Pal before, but never paid for it. I’m looking for friends in my weight loss journey! A group where we can help each other and to encourage each other. Personally, I need some accountability.

Thanks,
    Deb