Alternative recipes for lamb chops

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
Hi - I buy meat in bulk from a local farmer, and have recently purchased half a lamb. I love lamb, but oddly am not terribly fond of one of the most popular cuts - the chops. I have both loin and rib chops in my package. I've tried grilling and roasting them, and it's okay - but not great. Any suggestions for recipes - especially for any that aren't plain grilled chops? (These chops are leaner than normal since they are grass finished, if that makes a difference in your recipe.)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Chops( small steaks) are generally best when cooked over a high heat quickly like grilled, roasted or pan fried where some browning happens. The alternative culinary methodologies that are left for chops would be less desirable and pretty much not suitable. You could cut them up and braise the meat as you would shoulder for example, but a waste of good tasting grilling meat imo. Possibly use rubs, marinades and recipes from different cultures for variety. Cheers
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I agree that chops have to be cooked quickly on high heat. I just made lambchops for dinner. I marinated them for about an hour on the counter in a marianade of 3 cloves garlic minced, and equal portions (roughly 2 Tbs ea - I eyeballed it bc it is a marinade) honey, soy sauce, olive oil, plus to taste fresh ground pepper and herbs de provence (optional, or replace with a seasoning like an italialian herb blend instead or use chopped rosemary and thyme if you have any on hand). When I was ready to eat I removed from marinade, shaking off any excess and discarding the rest. I used a non stick pan to cook them for a few minutes per side (don’t crowd the pan or they will steam rather than grill) until really browned and carmelized (the honey and soy sauce will make a great glaze) I don’t generally need any other cooking oil besides what is left adhering to the chops themselves. I served with boiled salt potatoes and steamed green beans with a few toasted almonds crushed on top.

This works fine even if you marinate the meat only for a few minutes, but I find that it is useful to allow the meat to come to room temp before cooking so you might as well marinate during that time. Some people find lamb a bit gamy tasting or chewy in texture - if so, cook it to at least medium.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that chops should be cooked like steak, with a dry method at high temperature. Do you struggle with the gaminess of lamb chops that are not from a super young animal? A marinade could help but I would recomment a classic salsa verde/chimchurri style mint sauce to counteract the gaminess.

In a food processor put in three cloves of peeled garlic, a large handful of fresh mint leaves, a big pinch of salt. Blitz and add in a drizzle of olive oil so that scraped down, the texture is similar to pesto. Taste and season with salt, lemon juice, a pinch of sugar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Grill them and eat them with KFC gravy. Works everytime.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I like lamb a lot - the flavor is great, and I have zero issue with "gamey" flavor. I'm no lamb novice - this is the third half lamb I have bought (aside from grocery store lamb). I've had lamb chops at restaurants cooked in the traditional ways, and although they aren't my favorite cut, they are fine - tender and moist, just a little fattier than I'd really like. The chops I get with my bulk lamb are not good cooked traditionally with high heat. There is very little meat and a lot of connective tissue. Even seared but very rare on the inside, they are tough and I only get a couple bites of meat. Since this is the third 1/2 lamb I've gotten, I've had plenty of chops to experiment with. It could be because they are grass-fed and a bit leaner than normal - but that's not an issue with any other cuts. In any case, these are the chops I get, and the high heat method doesn't seem to be working well.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    ]In my experience rib as opposed to loin lamb chops only have between 1-2 oz of meat when properly butchered and trimmed. You are supposed to only have one or two bites per chop. The bones are often “frenched” — trimmed of connective tissue and fat. Sometimes they are even referred to as lollipops! Maybe the purveyor is not butchering them properly or delivering them with the rib cap attached?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I am often disappointed by lamb chops in that after trimming the fat and bone there is not much meat left. If you don't mind triming prior to cooking there is a famous Szechuan stir fry of lamb with cumin..

https://omnivorescookbook.com/cumin-lamb/