2»

Replies

• mdepew723
    mdepew723 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    mdepew723 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It says at least 176 up to 220. My goal weight is 230, so it would seem reasonable, based on responses here and this calculator to set my protein intake at 220-230. Does that sound about right?

I'm shooting for a weight I was very comfortable at. I looked and felt good at 230, and was strong, which is important to me because strength training is what keeps me motivated.

Thanks again for all the answers!

One issue is protein requirement and one issue is "weight I am most comfortable at" and I am aiming for.

I will exaggerate on purpose but a target weight of, for example, 350lb is a more than perfectly legit target for someone who has spent 20 years being above 500lbs.

I think we would agree, however, that a target weight of 350lbs is still likely to be in the obese range for most people--albeit a major health improvement for our hypothetical person. To me it would not make much sense to base MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR GOOD HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT on treating that 350lbs as a normal healthy weight just because it is the target they feel will be best for them at this time.

In your particular 6ft 1" case 189 would be the top end of "normal" weight and 230, your target, would be considered just above the top of the overweight range, since overweight extends to about 227lbs for 6ft 1". Please note that these ranges have nothing to do with your appearance or even individual health. They ARE however the ranges that the estimator at examine.com is using.

plugging in 189lbs and "I am at a healthy weight" and 230lbs and "I am overweight/obese" and choosing, in all cases that you're "active" and seek to either gain muscle or lose fat (in both cases increasing the protein requirement from simple maintenance) we get: 137g a day minimum with benefits to 206g in the case of 189lbs AND: 125g to 157g in case of 230lb. Your current 323 and overweight/obese gets 176g to 220g

So... my read from all of the above information would be that my minimum daily target ought to be 137g (which is above an absolute minimum of 125g), and that I shoul feel fairly comfortable eating a bit more protein than that if I want to. Probably all the way up to 200g or so.

But, by the time I was getting to 200g, I would be seriously thinking whether there might be more optimal plays for my extra calories

Nowhere in the above discussion do I see where the minimum requirements would be in the 220 to 230 range :wink:

Would you survive eating in the 220 to 230 range? Absent unknown/existing kidney damage quite probably. But you may be giving up other nutrients in the pursuit of one that you're already taking in at more than sufficient quantity.

I get what you're saying. I'm not very knowledgeable of this stuff so bear with me.
    230 is also based on my body fat%. Currently it measures at 323 lbs 39%, and according to online calculators 230 gets me closer to 15%, which I have no idea how accurate all that is since it's just a projection, but hitting 20% or less is also my goal which from what I can based on my current mass is in line with my goal of 230.
    230 at 15% won’t happen, not even close.

Your goal should be to look in the mirror and like what you see, BF% is really a meaningless number. It’s rarely accurate and serves no real purpose. X% can look totally different from one person to the next.

I figured it was unrealistic as well, but i guess it doesn't matter if 20% or 25% is more reasonable since its apparently a meaningless number anyway. If I understand everything, my goal is still 230 since that's what I said I was happy with in the mirror and strength wise, but should eat according to what I would need at closer to 189 pounds. All very confusing, not sure how eating for a 189 works for my goal of 230, but either way thanks for the suggestions and information. I do appreciate it.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If I understand everything, my goal is still 230 since that's what I said I was happy with in the mirror and strength wise, but should eat according to what I would need at closer to 189 pounds. All very confusing, not sure how eating for a 189 works for my goal of 230, but either way thanks for the suggestions and information. I do appreciate it.
    When people say "goal weight" in this context, it's assumed to mean around ideal body fat range, not some arbitrary number tens of pounds above that range.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    It says at least 176 up to 220. My goal weight is 230, so it would seem reasonable, based on responses here and this calculator to set my protein intake at 220-230. Does that sound about right?

I'm shooting for a weight I was very comfortable at. I looked and felt good at 230, and was strong, which is important to me because strength training is what keeps me motivated.

One issue is protein requirement and one issue is "weight I am most comfortable at" and I am aiming for.

I will exaggerate on purpose but a target weight of, for example, 350lb is a more than perfectly legit target for someone who has spent 20 years being above 500lbs.

I think we would agree, however, that a target weight of 350lbs is still likely to be in the obese range for most people--albeit a major health improvement for our hypothetical person. To me it would not make much sense to base MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR GOOD HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT on treating that 350lbs as a normal healthy weight just because it is the target they feel will be best for them at this time.

In your particular 6ft 1" case 189 would be the top end of "normal" weight and 230, your target, would be considered just above the top of the overweight range, since overweight extends to about 227lbs for 6ft 1". Please note that these ranges have nothing to do with your appearance or even individual health. They ARE however the ranges that the estimator at examine.com is using.

plugging in 189lbs and "I am at a healthy weight" and 230lbs and "I am overweight/obese" and choosing, in all cases that you're "active" and seek to either gain muscle or lose fat (in both cases increasing the protein requirement from simple maintenance) we get: 137g a day minimum with benefits to 206g in the case of 189lbs AND: 125g to 157g in case of 230lb. Your current 323 and overweight/obese gets 176g to 220g

So... my read from all of the above information would be that my minimum daily target ought to be 137g (which is above an absolute minimum of 125g), and that I shoul feel fairly comfortable eating a bit more protein than that if I want to. Probably all the way up to 200g or so.

But, by the time I was getting to 200g, I would be seriously thinking whether there might be more optimal plays for my extra calories

Nowhere in the above discussion do I see where the minimum requirements would be in the 220 to 230 range :wink:

Would you survive eating in the 220 to 230 range? Absent unknown/existing kidney damage quite probably. But you may be giving up other nutrients in the pursuit of one that you're already taking in at more than sufficient quantity.

I get what you're saying. I'm not very knowledgeable of this stuff so bear with me.
    230 is also based on my body fat%. Currently it measures at 323 lbs 39%, and according to online calculators 230 gets me closer to 15%, which I have no idea how accurate all that is since it's just a projection, but hitting 20% or less is also my goal which from what I can based on my current mass is in line with my goal of 230.

Your goal should be to look in the mirror and like what you see, BF% is really a meaningless number. It’s rarely accurate and serves no real purpose. X% can look totally different from one person to the next.

I figured it was unrealistic as well, but i guess it doesn't matter if 20% or 25% is more reasonable since its apparently a meaningless number anyway. If I understand everything, my goal is still
    230 since that's what I said I was happy with in the mirror and strength wise, but should eat according to what I would need at closer to 189 pounds. All very confusing, not sure how eating for
    a 189 works for my goal of 230, but either way thanks for the suggestions and information. I do appreciate it.
    a goal of 230 is uncommon however if that’s your decision then it’s up to you. You can eat whatever you feel is beneficial

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    Protein plays a vital, necessary, but supportive role. Vital yes. Necessary yes. BUT SUPPORTIVE; not primary.

Primary is the "work" your body is required to do. The muscles that you're using and pushing.

As you lose weight your calves that are carrying 329 lbs will be carrying 99lbs less for the however many hours you're standing. That's hours. For some people 8 or more hours. When you hit the gym you're not lifting weights under tension for 8 hours.

Your calve muscles in a few years from now will reduce to what is more normal for a 230lb person... that's assuming you don't take up up-hill cycling. This is true for many other parts of you and let's not forget that the connecting tissue and fluids in your body that will no longer be needed for the smaller you are still labeled as lean mass (or non fat mass).

So when you lose weight you WILL lose both fat and lean mass. A 4:1 fat to lean mass ration is considered good. But let's suppose you exceed that and lose at a 5:1 ratio.

This would get you to 19.92% fat level at 230lbs (assuming that you're correct and your current level is 39%). 20% would actually be a very good result for you as that is at the top of "normal" fat levels for a guy. And that's awesome!

You would be supporting 184lbs of lean mass. The "rule of thumb" is 0.6 to 0.8g per lb of lean mass. Increases to 0.8 to 1g per lb of weight at top of normal weight *which hides the implication of a 20% fat level*.... with benefits POSSIBLE at even higher levels.

Which brings us back through a long circuit to: You COULD eat 200g or even 230g of protein. But you don't NEED to.

By the time you're eating in the 150g's you're more than covered already.

By the time you're hitting 200g, you probably could have used the calories on something else of more use to you! Or on protein if that's what you enjoy! But I would rather eat some potatoes with my steak too! (or cabbage or Brussels sprouts I guess if you're anti-potato)
  • mdepew723
    Options
    If I understand everything, my goal is still 230 since that's what I said I was happy with in the mirror and strength wise, but should eat according to what I would need at closer to 189 pounds. All very confusing, not sure how eating for a 189 works for my goal of 230, but either way thanks for the suggestions and information. I do appreciate it.
    When people say "goal weight" in this context, it's assumed to mean around ideal body fat range, not some arbitrary number tens of pounds above that range.

Ah, I thought it was just the weight I wanted to get down to, my mistake.
  • mdepew723
    Options
    Protein plays a vital, necessary, but supportive role. Vital yes. Necessary yes. BUT SUPPORTIVE; not primary.

Primary is the "work" your body is required to do. The muscles that you're using and pushing.

As you lose weight your calves that are carrying 329 lbs will be carrying 99lbs less for the however many hours you're standing. That's hours. For some people 8 or more hours. When you hit the gym you're not lifting weights under tension for 8 hours.

Your calve muscles in a few years from now will reduce to what is more normal for a 230lb person... that's assuming you don't take up up-hill cycling. This is true for many other parts of you and let's not forget that the connecting tissue and fluids in your body that will no longer be needed for the smaller you are still labeled as lean mass (or non fat mass).

So when you lose weight you WILL lose both fat and lean mass. A 4:1 fat to lean mass ration is considered good. But let's suppose you exceed that and lose at a 5:1 ratio.

This would get you to 19.92% fat level at 230lbs (assuming that you're correct and your current level is 39%). 20% would actually be a very good result for you as that is at the top of "normal" fat levels for a guy. And that's awesome!

You would be supporting 184lbs of lean mass. The "rule of thumb" is 0.6 to 0.8g per lb of lean mass. Increases to 0.8 to 1g per lb of weight at top of normal weight *which hides the implication of a 20% fat level*.... with benefits POSSIBLE at even higher levels.

Which brings us back through a long circuit to: You COULD eat 200g or even 230g of protein. But you don't NEED to.

By the time you're eating in the 150g's you're more than covered already.

By the time you're hitting 200g, you probably could have used the calories on something else of more use to you! Or on protein if that's what you enjoy! But I would rather eat some potatoes with my steak too! (or cabbage or Brussels sprouts I guess if you're anti-potato)

That makes sense. Thanks again for all the responses! Very helpful!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

I figured it was unrealistic as well, but i guess it doesn't matter if 20% or 25% is more reasonable since its apparently a meaningless number anyway. If I understand everything, my goal is still 230 since that's what I said I was happy with in the mirror and strength wise, but should eat according to what I would need at closer to 189 pounds. All very confusing, not sure how eating for a 189 works for my goal of 230, but either way thanks for the suggestions and information. I do appreciate it.

I wouldn't worry too much, protein isn't stored as adipose and you'd have to be consuming twice as much before situations come up that make it a real problem if a person has healthy kidneys and it may help with satiety and I suspect that like most people our macro's will move around naturally and will more than likely adjust for sustainability and preference but as long as your still in a deficit you'll continue to lose weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Ya know -

All this discussion...a lot of this is really majoring in the minors at over 300 pounds.
    • Set your "Goals" in the goal section to "Lose 2 pounds per week."
    • Set your Activity Level as accurately as you can (for now, it can be changed and doesn't really matter at this point)
    • When/if you do PURPOSEFUL exercise, add that into the Exercise section and eat a bit more. Not 2000 more, but 300-400 more per hour of moderate exercise.

The site does a good job of giving you the tools you need. Don't get lost in the weeds - there is plenty of time for that.

The goals will set your Protein, Fats, and Carbs and a bunch of other nutrients for you. They are pretty close to what a normal person would need. If you want, a lot of people in weight loss mode use 40% Carbs, and 30% for both Protein and Fat. That is a reasonable percentage split for a man who is lifting.

Your biggest challenge is going to be even getting close to the Goals as set. Work on that, read everything, and worry about not eating too much. The rest of it is noise you just don't need right now.