Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Magnesium tracking

Options
Is there any way to add magnesium tracking as a nutrient option?
In apple health, there is an entry position for it, but MyFitnessPal doesn’t populate.
5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• shinigan
    shinigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was just coming to ask for this. I just got done reading several articles about the impact of magnesium deficiency. I don't want to immediately jump to a supplement but have no way tracking it from my food. SparkPeople is one app that allows users to add additional optional nutrients to track, including magnesium.
  • DEHoward1
    DEHoward1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is critical to many metabolic processes. It also has a very short half-life so overdose is unlikely and most Americans are deficient. I'd need a nutritional tracker that collects this data.

btw there are other nutrients that fall into this category that has caused me to look for other apps
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    DEHoward1 wrote: »
    Magnesium is critical to many metabolic processes. It also has a very short half-life so overdose is unlikely and most Americans are deficient. I'd need a nutritional tracker that collects this data.

btw there are other nutrients that fall into this category that has caused me to look for other apps

Magnesium isn't required to be put on food labels and most database entries on MFP are crowdsourced and most of the information that is input is from food labels...if it isn't on the label it isn't going to get populated in the database. This is true for numerous micro-nutrients that the FDA doesn't require them on labeling.
  • Hufanae
    Hufanae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I too am looking for an app that can give us options to track more than just what’s on the labels. Times have changed now it’s about time to track what’s more important than just what’s on labels. . Ive been using (off/on) app for 13 years and still we are stuck.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    Thank you all for this suggestion and feedback! We're definitely considering adding native support for tracking additional vitamins/minerals, as well as supplements, or medications. In the meantime, many users use the Notes area to record these additional items.

As an alternative, you can create a new Meal category called "Vitamins and Supplements". You can then create a custom food entry in the food database to represent your vitamin or supplement, and log this item to your diary when you consume it.

Hopefully these tips can help in the meantime, but I will be sure to pass along the feedback.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hufanae wrote: »
    I too am looking for an app that can give us options to track more than just what’s on the labels. Times have changed now it’s about time to track what’s more important than just what’s on labels. . Ive been using (off/on) app for 13 years and still we are stuck.

You would have to migrate to an app that doesn't have a crowdsourced database. There are some very good apps for tracking micro-nutrition as they aren't crowdsourced databases, however, the downside is that the databases are also quite small relatively speaking.
  • Hufanae
    Hufanae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nice! You all need rehire the original creators of MFP revamp the app. :smile: