How do ya do it??

Options
So, this is my first day on MFP, and I documented all of my food for today, and my exercise. How on earth does someone actually meet their fitness goals?? I work full time, and I did an hour at the gym. This seems almost impossible! Any tips would be wonderful.

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not exercising at the moment- and I haven't, for my first 25 pounds. Exercise can be slowly added it. Soon, you will become addicted and make exercise a priority. That's when it's easy to meet your fitness goals.

But honestly, it's your first day, and you're looking at your exercise goals already? Dang. On my first day, I was simply getting myself in the habit of logging food. Way to go!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Just take it in little bits. Take a walk at lunch or in the evening for 30 minutes. Take stairs instead of the elevator and log it. Little by little it adds up. The gym and the hard cardio are great to boost weight loss, but the overall fitness is from all your daily activities.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    It's hard - especially for a guy who NEVER liked the heat, in the hottest summer in the mid-Atlantic in a long time...
  • ItsSonia
    ItsSonia Posts: 20
    Options
    i know what you mean, i just entered my meals and found it to be a bit discouraging.
  • aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is less than 30 minutes. I lost weight & really toned up doing that about 4 times a week.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hey, Meg!

I also used to be a competetive powerlifter (a loooong time ago!). The good news is you already know how to do strength training. A lot of people go straight for the cardio and neglect their strength training. So you've already got an advantage! As you well know, strong muscles are great fat-burners! And an hour your first day? That's a great start!

Keep at it and you'll find you actually look forward to your gym time every day, and it becomes easier to work it into your schedule. I also work full-time, and I can't wait to get in there most days.

Best of luck!
  • Ashl3yS
    Ashl3yS Posts: 64
    Options
    Stupid question, but how do you check your fitness goals?
  • Megume
    Megume Posts: 74
    Options
    When you're on your home page, there should be a button up top that show's you the goals you keyed in when you set up your account.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've been logging everyday since mid January. There are definately days that my schedule gets in the way. My suggestion is to not dwell on a day that you don't make it to the gym, and continue the next day. Even if you start walking in place or doing some sit-ups or something during commericals will eventually add up. You will make it, it just takes time, don't expect to change over night. As you have probably heard a million times, it's a lifestyle change, not just a diet.
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As others have said, don't worry so much about getting in your workout times at first.
    When I started my weight loss journey in November of last year at 270 lbs I wasn't able to exercise much at all. I concentrated on logging everything I ate, no matter how small the portion, every day. It's developed into a habit that has served me well as I've lost nearly 75 pounds since then.

As the weight started to come off I slowly started adding in exercise, first just climbing 5 flights of stairs twice a day four days a week. Now I'm running 3 miles a day three days a week and doing the 30 day shred three days a week and looking toward my goal of 180 pounds only 15 pounds away.

You can do it, don't get discouraged already.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it. No excuses. I searched around until I found a class I could go to immediately after work. I change into my gym clothes and go straight there every day, whether I feel like it or not. My friends and family know that for an hour and a half after work I am unavailable.

It's hard at first, but eventually it does get easier and eventually you will get to a point where you "have" to exercise every day. I didn't think it would happen to me, but it finally did.
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options
    I work full time as well. I also ride horses 6-7 days a week. Fitting in exercise is always a struggle. But I take a walk at lunch, and am doing Chalene extreme which is basically 35-45 minutes per workout. For me being able to workout at home whenever I want has been key. If I had to drive to a gym I would never leave the house.
    I will sometimes work out at 9 pm if that is when I have time that day. Or I will get up at 5:30 and work out then ( I really hate getting up early, so to get up to work out is a supreme test of will power:bigsmile: ). The good news is the more you workout the more you want to workout, so it does get way easier.

If you are an organized person who needs structure write it on your calendar in pen and stick to it. If something comes up and you miss a work out just go back and do it the next day.
    You can do this. It is a journey, but that is the fun part
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I haven't been exercising really. I've just been learning how to eat properly 1st. I'm going to start exercising next month though. I'd say just gradually work exercise into your life. It's a life change so you want to be able to stick with your changes.