I'm sick. And indecisive.

glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
edited March 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
What should I take?

There's sneezing and lots of blowing of the nose and a sore throat that was worse yesterday.
I may or may not have a fever. My body temp runs low and last I took it, it was 97.7 when I'm normally 96.whatever.

This isn't allergies (which I normally get...and my allergy medicine didn't help) or Covid.

I give y'all permission to turn into internet doctors. 😁

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    At an extremity, I usually reach a FI point and go for the biggest, strongest, multi-symptom-est, extra-super, for-severe-whatever kind of thing, usually some Nyquil variant, if you have that where you are. I'm not a good internet doctor, though.

But I'm sorry you feel miserable, hope you find something that makes you feel better, and that it's all over with very, very soon.
  • Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    Go get some Sudafed and ibuprofen combo from the Pharmacist. Not the crap they stock on the shelf but the stuff you have to show your ID for. That NyQuil at bedtime and lots of fluids. Oh Mucinex (generic is fine) if you have lots of phlegm and a cough.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    Healing thoughts! 😘
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    Gatorade and Motrin. My hangover remedy fixes everything.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    What kind of COVID test did you take? The Coronavirus Prep thread has a current discussion on accuracy of the various types of tests.

I take this at the first sign of illness, and it usually nips things in the bud, but then I was never tested for anything other than COVID (negative) so I have no idea if I actually had anything or not:

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Wellness-Bio-Aligned-Vitamins/dp/B000Q69DMY/

I drink lots of this, which has ginger and licorice, which soothes the throat:

https://www.amazon.com/Yogi-Tea-Supports-Healthy-Digestion/dp/B0009F3QLG/

And eat lots of spicy Asian soup, which helps me decongest.

I do have standard cold/flu meds in my cabinet, but am not brand loyal and do not swear by them.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,406 Member
    Well I’m just hear to say I was going to post a rude comment til I saw the poster ID and tag line. 🤭

Hope what ever route you did decide to go has given you some relief.

Out of curiosity, as another person who keeps a super low body temp, do you get cold hands and feet?
  • glassyo
    Thanks, kids :)

Sore throat is almost gone, still sneezing, and...not to be gross but...could all this mucus please leave the building? Sheesh! :)

@kshama2001 It was one of those free, at home tests. LOL the corona virus thread was the first thing I thought of since that "I haven't gotten it" proclamation. I did start taking some immunity pills with zinc and elderberry and something else and they're a pretty purple but no clue if you can take those after the fact.

@Pav8888 Awwwwwwwwww thanks. Maybe thoughts and prayers DO work! :pensive:

@AnnpT77 @JaysFan82 @Mischante I used to keep drugs on hand for those just in case times but usually never need them. I may have to build up an arsenal again.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited March 2023
    I rarely take anything for colds anymore, just fluids and rest (while most are probably ok, a lot of cold medicines are considered potentially risky while pregnant or breastfeeding, so I'm just not in the habit of thinking to take something.)

When my head feels "full" I get a lot of relief from standing in a hot shower, letting the spray hit my upper body so I'm breathing the steam. That tends to loosen up the gunk.

I also tend to eat spicy stuff. It helps when everything is tasteless and also clears out those sinuses. A splash of cayenne pepper sauce in chicken soup? Yes please. 😋

ETA: I also have lowish body temperature and rarely get fevers. If it's 99 or over I'm definitely miserable. A couple of my kids are like this too, which has led more than one nurse to think I'm a hypochondriac (or whatever the term would be as a parent to the patient) only to look in an ear or listen to lungs and exclaim, "Wow, you really are sick!" Yep. I know.
  • kshama2001
    I rarely take anything for colds anymore, just fluids and rest (while most are probably ok, a lot of cold medicines are considered potentially risky while pregnant or breastfeeding, so I'm just not in the habit of thinking to take something.)

When my head feels "full" I get a lot of relief from standing in a hot shower, letting the spray hit my upper body so I'm breathing the steam. That tends to loosen up the gunk.

I also tend to eat spicy stuff. It helps when everything is tasteless and also clears out those sinuses. A splash of cayenne pepper sauce in chicken soup? Yes please. 😋

ETA: I also have lowish body temperature and rarely get fevers. If it's 99 or over I'm definitely miserable. A couple of my kids are like this too, which has led more than one nurse to think I'm a hypochondriac (or whatever the term would be as a parent to the patient) only to look in an ear or listen to lungs and exclaim, "Wow, you really are sick!" Yep. I know.

Yeah, when I'm sick I always mean to decongest in the shower right before bed, but often don't have the energy for this. If I would force myself, it would be very beneficial.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Sure sounds very covid-like but could be any other virus. Hopefully you’ll continue to improve.
    Lots of advice above plus:
    Hot drinks can be soothing; hot blackcurrant for example?
    Decongestants if your sinuses are blocked up; either in tablet form or a nasal spray.
    Nappy rash cream on your nose to stop it getting sore. I use Drapolene.

In case it is covid then take care starting back to exercise, you don’t want to do too much too soon and get complications of myocarditis.
  • kshama2001
    You gave me your cold or whatever :lol:

I've had headache, mild sore throat, mild congestion, and a little sneezing.

I took a Binax Now COVID test and it was negative, but it expired two months ago. My other COVID tests expired last July >.< I sent my OH to the library, where they have free tests.

FWIW, I called the VA and the nurse said they consider home tests to be accurate.

A week ago, my mother, who I live with, found out she'd been exposed to someone who tested positive. After initially agreeing to, she refused to stay 6' away from me, or to get tested. She doesn't have symptoms.
  • glassyo
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You gave me your cold or whatever :lol:

I've had headache, mild sore throat, mild congestion, and a little sneezing.

I took a Binax Now COVID test and it was negative, but it expired two months ago. My other COVID tests expired last July >.< I sent my OH to the library, where they have free tests.

FWIW, I called the VA and the nurse said they consider home tests to be accurate.

A week ago, my mother, who I live with, found out she'd been exposed to someone who tested positive. After initially agreeing to, she refused to stay 6' away from me, or to get tested. She doesn't have symptoms.

LOL sorry. The irony is kinda funny.

I'm at the tail end, I think. A tickle in the throat, nose still a bit stuffy, some coughing but it's not as bad as my boss (who got sick last weekend too). I warn the clients and tell them "It's unrelated!" :)

I did try taking a longer hot shower last night. I'm normally get in, do my thing, and get out but lingered and...my cheap *kitten* shower apparently doesn't produce steam.

Is your mom at least vaxxed??

Right now I'm at the coughing stage but I was a good girl and blew my
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Sure sounds very covid-like but could be any other virus. Hopefully you’ll continue to improve.
    Lots of advice above plus:
    Hot drinks can be soothing; hot blackcurrant for example?
    Decongestants if your sinuses are blocked up; either in tablet form or a nasal spray.
    Nappy rash cream on your nose to stop it getting sore. I use Drapolene.

In case it is covid then take care starting back to exercise, you don’t want to do too much too soon and get complications of myocarditis.

Hot tea worked on the throat...while I was drinking it, at least, and the cream's a good idea! Not all those tissues had aloe in them. :)