Setting up to lose weight

Options
I sit on my bum all day so walk 5k each morning and work out each evening. This is day 1, i wont eat anymore now is this right. I dont lose weight and this is pretty much the norm for me
Cal 1400-food 1712 +exercise 2305 = 1993 remaining

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    rosieholly wrote: »
    I sit on my bum all day so walk 5k each morning and work out each evening. This is day 1, i wont eat anymore now is this right. I dont lose weight and this is pretty much the norm for me

Would you please break down in detail how you got the 2,305 in exercise calories?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options

You already have answers in your similar thread (see below for my question similarly to the one above). You may want to click on one of the two threads in the first message near the bottom: Flag/Report/This is my post and I want to delete it to avoid having two threads about the same issue.

Before you start your day, do you walk 5K steps or 5Km which depending on your height could well be a good 7k steps?

Where did you get the exercise estimate of 2305 Calories from? Is it from a connected device or is it from exercise you entered on MFP? If a connected device, which device? And is that exercise number that you see one you got DURING the day, or the final number that came up after the end of day at midnight?

The details I am asking matter, but every indication is that you should probably eat SOME of these calories back depending on the accuracy of your logging and also depending on the size of deficit you've chosen to apply.
  • rosieholly
    rosieholly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Would you please break down in detail how you got the 2,305 in exercise calories?

Thanks for your reply, this us from my linked fitbit nothing i have added separately. I walk 5km each morning fast pace, i work out each night cardio and strength and walk again at night, but this would not be 2000 cals
  • PAV8888
    Options
    If, for example, you're walking 10km in a day (i.e. in the 15 to 20K) step range, then you are probably exceeding (absent logging any of this separately) the equivalent of "very active' on MFP.

The labels just stand in for an activity level. A person walking 10Km a day and exercising on top is not sedentary. not even just active.

Please note that this doesn't make the caloric burn correct FOR YOU. It is just a discussion about definitions as used.

The device and MFP are estimating based on averages. Some people are above, some people below and most people are AROUND the average mark.

it is entirely possible that your predicted burn is higher than reality. However how you log your intake also matters.

you should be able to quickly see your Fitbit TDEE for the past month or so:
    https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export (Last month or previous 31 days, ACTIVITIES, CSV)

Then bring in a spreadhsheet and average the calories burned column. That's a one month long estimate of your TDEE. On average eating less than that should result in weight loss.

If after a month of diligent logging of your food and drink intake, by preference BEFORE you eat the items that you log, you are not seeing the expected results reflected in your weight trend app (you can connect fitbit.com to trendweight.com for that)... then you should adjust your goals to account for the estimated inaccuracy.

• PAV8888
    Options
    As an example, using the above data export (and carefully checking that integration hasn't artificially inflated my calories as sometimes happens by having days with duplicates of meals when you've edited your intake after the fact), I see that my estimated expenditure the past 31 days was 3032 Cal and my estimated intake 2836. If my weight trend in trendweight.com had remained stable this means that the 197 Cal deficit wouldn't have existed and for the purpose of goal setting I would assume a TDEE error of 6.5% (i.e. I would ignore about 6.5% of my daily TDEE from Fitbit).... until I re-evaluated again n a few weeks. Conversely if my weight had moved more than the 197 Cal deficit would indicate, I would take that into consideration as appropriate.
  • rosieholly
    edited March 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If, for example, you're walking 10km in a day (i.e. in the 15 to 20K) step range, then you are probably exceeding (absent logging any of this separately) the equivalent of "very active' on MFP.

The labels just stand in for an activity level. A person walking 10Km a day and exercising on top is not sedentary. not even just active.

Please note that this doesn't make the caloric burn correct FOR YOU. It is just a discussion about definitions as used.

The device and MFP are estimating based on averages. Some people are above, some people below and most people are AROUND the average mark.

it is entirely possible that your predicted burn is higher than reality. However how you log your intake also matters.

you should be able to quickly see your Fitbit TDEE for the past month or so:
    https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export (Last month or previous 31 days, ACTIVITIES, CSV)

Then bring in a spreadhsheet and average the calories burned column. That's a one month long estimate of your TDEE. On average eating less than that should result in weight loss.

If after a month of diligent logging of your food and drink intake, by preference BEFORE you eat the items that you log, you are not seeing the expected results reflected in your weight trend app (you can connect fitbit.com to trendweight.com for that)... then you should adjust your goals to account for the estimated inaccuracy.
    Thank you for your great explanation, lots to take in. I will review all of this . More complex than i thought but could well be why i am not losing weight
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You're not losing weight over what time period and while eating how much / logging how many calories out? Also: how often do you weight? do you use a weight trend app yet? :smile:
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you’re comfortable to share height and weight info then people can advise whether the 2000+ calories from your walk and workout is realistic.

How long have you been following this exercise regime? Is it genuinely something you do 7 days a week and have done for months or years or have you just recently started? Knowing this will help people to know how it’s influencing your weight Egan new workout regime can cause short term weight gain as our bodies hold more water did muscle repair. This can make people freak out that they’re not losing or are gaining weight but it will all even out in due course.
  • rosieholly
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    If you’re comfortable to share height and weight info then people can advise whether the 2000+ calories from your walk and workout is realistic.

How long have you been following this exercise regime? Is it genuinely something you do 7 days a week and have done for months or years or have you just recently started? Knowing this will help people to know how it’s influencing your weight Egan new workout regime can cause short term weight gain as our bodies hold more water did muscle repair. This can make people freak out that they’re not losing or are gaining weight but it will all even out in due course.

Hi here goes never shared before as humiliating. I am 231 pounds 5ft 7 half. I gave been speed walking for a few years also was doing joe wicks hiit, i have just started gym sessions in tge evening then speed walk home. I have come from a vlcd shakes diet so calories are increasing but i want a healthy lifestyle change i can sustain leaving the meal repkacement packs behind i am panicking to be fair
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks for your reply, this us from my linked fitbit nothing i have added separately. I walk 5km each morning fast pace, i work out each night cardio and strength and walk again at night, but this would not be 2000 cals

From your very similar thread, it seems like the 2305 calories represent TDEE, not exercise calories, and so 1993 calories remaining is inaccurate.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10886424/what-do-i-need-to-set-to-lose-weight
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I concur it sounds very much like the 2305 is your total burn for the day including BMR and exercise.
    Your 5k walk should generate 300-360 extra calories. I don’t know how far your walk home from the gym is nor what you’re doing in the gym or if you do the same routine of 2 walks + gym everyday.

How did the last week go? Have you made progress on the scale or with checking your device and account settings to get this fixed? Hopefully it’s all sorted now.