How do you know how much water to drink a day ?

Options
2»

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Sometimes hunger and thirst cues can be messed up due to people possible engaging in various behaviors related to: 'diet culture', ED, or disordered eating habits. Also...the mental *kitten* that leads to people absolutely not trusting or understanding their bodies cues.

Ideally - yes, you'd drink when you're thirsty and that would be sufficient.

I'd like to point out that really what you should look at (as also stated above) is your urine color. If it's dark/very yellow -- drink more. I also pay attention to my skin/lip hydration and if they feel dry/chapped, I drink more. Also, know that anything you are drinking that has a first ingredient of water, should also count as water. Coffee/tea...etc. --- those are all water.

I'd say it's helpful to always have a container of water with you (that you WASH often!). I keep a 32oz plastic mug (one of those souvenir ones you get at Oktoberfest) and just fill it up, drink it, and then fill it up again...and wash it daily. I also use Crystal Light squeeze stuff to flavor it bc I don't love drinking plain water and I drink more when it's flavored.

I would posit misconstruing thirst for hunger is really uncommon. If it were that common, we'd have people dropping like flies from dehydration because they would just keep eating food and never drinking anything. But this doesn't happen, except in some instances with severe dementia. And I would posit this poster doesn't have severe dementia. People with ED'S are extremely likely to drink more water as a way to stave off hunger, rather than not enough. I've done it myself. Also, trying to figure out how much water you *should* drink would be more of an indication of orthorexia, if anything, in which case closely monitoring water intake would most likely be counterproductive.

I didn't intend to mean that people misconstrue 'thirst' for 'hunger' --- although this is a fairly common misconception due to diet culture. What I mean is people have no idea how to interpret or trust their hunger and thirst cues.

I realized that after I wrote my response... and you're right, many people mistrust their own bodies signals or interpret them differently.