hill walking!!

Options
my doctor said to walk up hills more to strengthen my thighs and help with breathing and general overall fitness! Good idea!!! I am certainly going to do more hill walks!!! Unfortunately, winter is slowly coming to the southern hemisphere but regardless of winter I still get outside and walk, walk walk!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about walking is you can go out in all kinds of conditions as long as you have the right clothes. Just don't overheat by wearing too much.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You could even start doing hill reps on a relatively short hill - walk up as fast as you can then relax and recover your HR on the way back down, then go again.
    You could build up the number of reps you aim for each day or each week.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Treadmills set to steep inclines mimic hills wonderfully for when the weather gets too cold to be outside.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    my doctor said to walk up hills more to strengthen my thighs and help with breathing and general overall fitness! Good idea!!! I am certainly going to do more hill walks!!! Unfortunately, winter is slowly coming to the southern hemisphere but regardless of winter I still get outside and walk, walk walk!

Good for you! I find being outside especially important for my mental health in winter.

I put on increasingly more layers. I saved a pair of "fat jeans" specifically to wear with leggings.

My new parka is rated to -20 degrees Fahrenheit but it wasn't nearly cold enough this winter to test that out. It's from Land's End and is much lighter than my older parka and the one I was issued when I was in the military, working in upstate New York.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    May I also suggest stationary bicycle ("spinning") when the weather outdoors is not inviting. Maybe you can find a spin class. They are really fun so long as everyone can go at their own pace and still no one gets dropped. :p
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Hill walking is amazing. For a bigger challenge if the hill isn't steep is to do it with a pair of dumbells.
  • cinnamongrn
    cinnamongrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you can get to a gym the stair climber is a pretty good one