Tinned fish/seafood lovers?

edenapple95
edenapple95 Posts: 1 Member
One of my guiltiest pleasures is tinned fish/seafood. I eat multiple cans per week but crackers/ bread/pasta is getting old.

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    edited March 2023
    I’ve been trying to perfect homemade individual-sized frozen pizzas so I keep buying anchovies. I did make a decent Caesar dressing with them, but I don’t know what else I’d use them on. My partner likes to crack open a can of sardines and eat them straight. He likes the smoked oysters too.

As a couple, we smell amazing together, I’m sure. 😉
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    One of my guiltiest pleasures is tinned fish/seafood. I eat multiple cans per week but crackers/ bread/pasta is getting old.

Are you talking about a vehicle for snacks...crackers and oysters, tuna fish sandwiches, linguine and clams, fettuccine and shrimp, sardines and crackers? You can make tuna salad with black eyed peas, peppers. Build fish tacos. Mix them with rice. Pile salmon on salad greens. Make fish patties with herbs, spices, lemon glazes.
    Make a tuna casserole or macaroni salad with chopped celery, onions, olives, peppers.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    edited March 2023
    Yeah, I'm a Nuri sardine fan and consume around 8 to 10 tins a month and I just eat them straight lol. Cheers
  • sunshineekg
    sunshineekg Posts: 24 Member
    My guilty pleasure is tuna or salmon over rice with frozen Vegetables and mayo. Kind of like an unstuffed onigiri. But I may be a little strange
  • misiubear75
    misiubear75 Posts: 4 Member
    I just discovered sardines with tomato paste.
    My husband can't stand tinned fish but I thought the combo was pretty good.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I own two cookbooks about tinned fish, and I really like them even though the recipes are quite simple. I think only has has so far been translated. It's called Cooking with Tinned Fish by Bart van Olphen. So yeah, totally a fan. Especially good-quality tinned fish
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    edited March 2023
    I love canned tuna. (I can tolerate other canned fish, but don't crave them.) One thing I have on frequent rotation is healthified smokey tuna dip. One 8oz package of cream cheese, two cans of light tuna (drained), garlic powder, salt, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce. It makes more of a spread than a dip, but I usually eat it with crackers, carrot chips, or just on its own for an easy to transport lunch. You could also top just about anything with this, or build it into a sandwich. The smokey flavor makes it a little different than many other canned tuna recipes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    If you are looking for new things to do with tinned fish, try googling Salade Nicoise (easy) and tuna onigiri (labour intensive).

Giorgio Locatelli is a famous Italian chef in London, and the third recipe in this column is a sort of spaghetti puttanesca that uses tinned tuna instead of anchovies.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/20/the-only-4-spaghetti-recipes-you-will-ever-need-giorgio-locatelli

A girlfriend of mine in college showed me a great trick for turning tinned sardines into a dinner main. Pan fry the sardines in the oil in the tin and serve with a squeeze of lemon.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    edited August 2023
    acpgee wrote: »
    If you are looking for new things to do with tinned fish, try googling Salade Nicoise (easy) and tuna onigiri (labour intensive).

Giorgio Locatelli is a famous Italian chef in London, and the third recipe in this column is a sort of spaghetti puttanesca that uses tinned tuna instead of anchovies.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/20/the-only-4-spaghetti-recipes-you-will-ever-need-giorgio-locatelli

A girlfriend of mine in college showed me a great trick for turning tinned sardines into a dinner main. Pan fry the sardines in the oil in the tin and serve with a squeeze of lemon.

Funny because I've many times used canned tuna for both a Nicoise and Puttanesca. Tuna in olive oil for best results imo. Must be a chef thing, lol. Cheers
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 211 Member
    edited August 2023
    I also came to recommend salade Nicoise: tuna, olives, hard boiled egg, tomatoes, green beans (I usually substitute asparagus as I’m not a green bean fan), tiny potatoes on a bed of lettuce. Delicious!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I have two cookbooks about tinned fish. They aren't in English, mind but this stuff is out there.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited August 2023
    Canned sardine or mackerel curries are pretty good. Cheap protein source too:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sardine+indian+curry
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    edited August 2023
    Oh, for *kittens* sakes, I'm going to open one of the *kitten* cans of *kitten* fish that are sitting in the *kitten* cupboard now!

The other day I dumped 750 g of frozen semi random veggies (Italian mix 🤷‍♂️) into the nuker, waited for them to cool, and added onions, tomatoes, olives, pickled peppers, and a random fish can! Plus some lemon cause it was there!

No cookbooks were harmed in the process!!!!😹