New job with increased steps

Options
In approx two weeks I'm going to be changing my Job role from sitting at a desk and walking maybe 5000 steps a day to spending little time at a desk to doing easily 10000 steps (I know it will around that as its not much different to a job I did before)

I'm currently on 1300 calories a day.

My question is shall I change my activity level before or after I start the role?

Before-assiming I do walk 10000steps?

After a week or so to see how I feel and what steps I actually walk?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Seems a bit like over thinking? 🤪 1300 is not a high intake. MFP assumes you eat back extra activity that is not included in the settings you selected.

You are moving from the approximate equivalent of the lower end of lightly active to the middle of active... more or less. So that will be a what if you look it up, a 2-300Cal increase? I would leave everything the same... but bring a nice filling extra 2-300 Cal snack or meal to eat at work

Couple of apples, a banana and some almonds come to mind, though my current state of food consumption may be influencing that more than a little bit 😝😇

I've generally found my Fitbit results to be accurate enough for my needs and you can always adjust for a consistent discrepancy based on your weight trend vs apparent balance results
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you use a Fitbit or similar device and sync it to MFP, you will get extra calories added to your goal when you step more. My base goal is also 1300 and I usually step my way to 300-400 extra calories. I agree with @PAV8888, the calorie adjustment based on Fitbit is pretty accurate for me.

You could change your activity level on MFP; I keep mine at sedentary in case I don’t get a lot of steps one day. If you increase your activity level, it will give you more calories every day and you will want to keep up the pace on your days off.