Poll: How much do you 'gain' on average the days before your period starts?

I'm curious to see if there's an average that people who menstruate tend to gain (on the scale) in hormonal bloat? Every month when I'm actively weighing myself it always throws me off so seeing other people's answers will help me be more objective I think.

Replies

• noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    If I am in a calorie deficit I usually will only gain one/two pounds or most likely stay the same weight, then 3 days after the start all the water weight goes and I whoosh of 3/4 pounds. So I am losing fat lost while staying the same (ish) on the scale, and then the weight comes off in a whoosh with the water afterwards.

If I am not in a calorie deficit and therefore not losing body fat it can be anything up to 5lbs increase, with the water.

Each women body is so different to what it does but that is definitely my pattern. Weighing everyday over years has really helped me pick on the patterns so it doesn't freak me out like it used to.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member
    edited March 2023
    My pattern is that I don't have a pattern 😆
    Sometimes it's before my period, sometimes it's during, sometimes I don't have a noticeable increase. But it tends to be 1-3 lbs for me, when it happens.

Edited to add, because I think the fluctuations are relative to weight: i weigh 135lbs currently. I'm not sure about the weight fluctuations when I was heavier.
  • Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    I gain between 3-5 pounds the days leading up to my period. I continue with my deficit and the weight plus some comes off a couple of days after my period starts.
  • StaciInGa
    StaciInGa Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2023
    It won't be the same for everyone. I 'gain' (retain water) after my cycle starts, not before. To track monthly weight loss trend I compare my weight on the day after I start from one cycle to the next. I kind of ignore the scale # when it ticks up, knowing it is not real. But I go up 1-3 pounds and I'm now approx 145 pounds. (I think the current weight is relevant as it might be a % change and not a # change.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Which is why weight trend applications help... but since they would still show an up-tick, what helps even more is comparing your weight trend at the same point of your previous cycles.

Web search says 2 to 6 lbs is the typical range. I've definitely heard of even higher figures as a possibility. Which is where the individual n=1 and data collection come into play!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i no longer have periods, but i used to gain on average 2 pounds of water just before that would go away afterward every month. once in a while, i'd gain more - once in a long time, up to 7 pounds, but i suspect sodium played a part in those higher gains.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    i am a rare one. my weight drops significantly. 5 or more pounds b4 my period. when i see that on the scale i know i'm due in about 3 days... give or take.
  • alicegriffiths70
    alicegriffiths70 Posts: 9 Member
    This has been really helpful thanks everyone, mine can beberween 2 and 6 lbs and it starts about 6 days before I come on so can leave me with quite a long time of weighing higher before it then drops off on about day 3 of my period.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Before my hysterectomy, I also gained a few pounds (of temporary water weight) when I ovulated as well as premenstrually. That taught me to compare myself to the same point in my cycle as last month, rather than any other point.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Good couple of pounds. Get very very bloated.
    Then one day at some point ,maybe just before period or during I wee like crazy.
    Bloatiness goes, weight returns to normal.
  • hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Usually about 2.5lb for me, it goes back to normal about 3 days in
  • StephanieDL1
    StephanieDL1 Posts: 18 Member
    Week before up to a few days after my period I will maintain my weight and then all of a sudden 6 pounds will come off.
  • sarahq81
    sarahq81 Posts: 35 Member
    noodlesno wrote: »
    If I am in a calorie deficit I usually will only gain one/two pounds or most likely stay the same weight, then 3 days after the start all the water weight goes and I whoosh of 3/4 pounds. So I am losing fat lost while staying the same (ish) on the scale, and then the weight comes off in a whoosh with the water afterwards.

If I am not in a calorie deficit and therefore not losing body fat it can be anything up to 5lbs increase, with the water.

Each women body is so different to what it does but that is definitely my pattern. Weighing everyday over years has really helped me pick on the patterns so it doesn't freak me out like it used to.

Exactly the same here. It’s so difficult staying disciplined leading up to my period when I’m feeling very hungry and not seeing any loss at all. The loss afterwards is great, of course!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Maybe 1lbs. I take the contraceptive in longterm cycle and don't take many breaks anyway. Thus not sure. Flying on the other hand is a LOT worse. The waterweight just piles up and sticks around for a long time. You arrive somewhere nice and warm, whip out the bikini, and instead of a great abdomen ... it's just not there. :D