MFP defaults to 10,000 steps but that's not realistic for me - can I change it?

I have a bad back and don't walk well - I can cycle ok and do 50-100km per week at a good intensity.

However, 10k steps is not something I am can usually handle - can I change the default 10k to my usual goal of 5k

Best Answer

• Jean
    Jean Posts: 726 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    By default, your Step goal will be set to the average recommended steps per day of 10k steps. However, we do recognize every individual may wish to achieve a unique daily step goal.

If you are tracking your Steps with the built-in iOS motion processor, you can easily change your Step goal by going to "More" then "Steps", then tap on the 10,000 goal. A numeric key pad should then show up. Elect the goal you wish to set and hit the check mark in the right hand corner.

If you have elected a different Step source as your partner, such as Fitbit, you will need to first update your step goal directly within that program before it can reflect in MyFitnessPal. If the program you are using does not have a way to change your step goal, then unfortunately it will remain at the default goal of 10k steps. We would then recommend putting your goal within the Exercise notes area.

Please remember your Step goal is an incentive and reaching it does not guarantee an adjustment. For more information on how to earn an adjustment please see: https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-