Like father like son...

Options
Ray_4331
Ray_4331 Posts: 23 Member
When my son uses his finger to try to get every last drop of ice cream out of his bowl, I try to remind him to use his manners. It is not polite.

Unfortunately, I then find myself at work, finishing my salad. There are little bits of feta cheese and ranch dressing along the bottom corners of my dish... I tracked every gram of that salad -- I want it!!

I am not going to lick the container, but I am going to try to use the last pieces of chicken or something to try and mop up every last bit!!! I am not letting a gram get away!!!!!

Our situations are different, but I guess I have to say that I understand where he gets it from...

Replies

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    agree, for me, it is like mother/other women in the family, like daughter. i can hear their voices, remember the reasons we treated with feastly foods or started yet another fad/crash diet. they loved their family with foods - and i can identify and attribute much of my eating attitudes/beliefs to my apprenticeship with them during childhood...

will any of us grow up and break the chain? if we struggle to stop ourselves, can we stop passing the bad/difficult parts of our eating choices on to our children?

i wish they (my family) had known what we know now - they thought they were loving us with lots of extra good homemade treats (post ww2 sugar rationing) - but we now know more about good for our body nutrition - we can change, we can encourage and model change - just as we model other good self-care habits - like brushing our teeth, hair, enough sleep ;)

-- so, over centuries, people used bread to sop up gravies.... not sure that is a bad thing... especially when it is "within eating enough food, not too much food, not too little food". Finger licking? outright licking the bowl/plate - maybe not so much, lol, but I get that! especially things as a kid, i always loved blowing bubbles through straws or other wildchild things like putting olives on every finger at the feasts.... - they/adults made me learn to use a knife & fork & napkins instead of my fingers and sleeve.... and to this day, i still love finger foods and have urges to wipe my fingers on my thighs... - table manners are important in polite society - but just another part of raising up a kidlet... papa on dad!