Weightlifting straps

rachelpetra89
rachelpetra89 Posts: 23 Member
Hey, a rather specific favour to ask...

Would anybody be so kind as to post a POV video putting on single loop weightlifting straps if that's a thing you can do here?

I'm not sure I'm doing them right. I used them for snatch pulls today and I was super conscious of them so I used my hands too much.

Maybe I need to get used to them

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited March 2023
    https://youtu.be/BEkC01Mn1K0

However, I prefer either Versa Grips or Cobra Grips. They are easier to use and have other benefits other than pull type movements.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Have a look at https://eu.warmbody-coldmind.com/products/straps-v1-jastred?variant=38172590964888 Torokhtiy - Ukrainian world champ, now does a range of kit, programmes and vids (he has vids on how to use wraps). You do still need to use your hands (more than for deadlifts for instance) and particularly when you turn over on the snatch or front rack on the clean receive. They take some getting used to as they will tighten when you turn over: only wrap them once then grip firmly so that you can safely ditch the bar if you need to. Practice wrapping them then dumping the bar, so that you know you have a safe way to get out from under the bar. Have you practiced bailing much?
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited March 2023
    I also use versa grips. They’re pricey but well worth it. Easy to put on. I found it impossible to put standard straps on my right wrist
  • rachelpetra89
    rachelpetra89 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks for all the info guys, I'm just using them for snatch and clean pulls at the moment. I guess my biggest and maybe stupid question is do they wrap around my thumbs?
  • recover808
    recover808 Posts: 13 Member
    Get olympic weightlifting specific straps. They are similar just shorter than the ones posted above and easy to use. Especially when you want to drop the weight from overhead the longer straps can get dicey. Rogue fitness has them and they are pretty cheap
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,488 Member
    Timely. I was just thinking I should finally get some. I think I'll go with the Gymreapers lasso straps for Baby's First Straps, $15 on Amazon for the experiment.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Thanks for all the info guys, I'm just using them for snatch and clean pulls at the moment. I guess my biggest and maybe stupid question is do they wrap around my thumbs?

Nope. The single loop short weightlifting ones go around your wrists, then the single strap goes around the bar with your hand on it. So you grip the bar in the usual position but the strap is attaching your wrist to the bar. It means you might not be able to hook grip as it makes it wider. It’s not a magic panacea as it transfers the pressure from the base of the thumb to the wrist - especially for snatch grip (talking specific Oly WL here, not general PL or general pulls). Working your hook grip is important and wraps can interfere with that. I do use them but only when I’m doing high volume or heavy weight, as otherwise they (personally) impact my pull transition into catch. Does that kind of make sense?

• recover808
    recover808 Posts: 13 Member

Nope. The single loop short weightlifting ones go around your wrists, then the single strap goes around the bar with your hand on it. So you grip the bar in the usual position but the strap is attaching your wrist to the bar. It means you might not be able to hook grip as it makes it wider. It’s not a magic panacea as it transfers the pressure from the base of the thumb to the wrist - especially for snatch grip (talking specific Oly WL here, not general PL or general pulls). Working your hook grip is important and wraps can interfere with that. I do use them but only when I’m doing high volume or heavy weight, as otherwise they (personally) impact my pull transition into catch. Does that kind of make sense?
    I 100% agree that hook grip is important but if you arent going to compete or go for an absolute max it isn’t necessary. I dont ever use a hook grip anymore but i also dont max (or even do the full lifts anymore i just do powers) so using rhe hook grip for me isnt really necessary.