Low carb dieting

Hi just wondering how many carbs in a cookies and cream quest protein bar? I notice when I put it in my food diary for the day it shows 21 carbs. I’ve also noticed some people are saying 8.5. So excited to be on this site, need to ask so many questions. I’m also new to low carb dieting and can’t seem to get into ketosis, I’m using ketone urine strips. Would the quest bar be interfering with this, and I am on day four and haven’t lost any weight. Thank you. I would love to have some feedback. Appreciate it.

Replies

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 400 Member
    I believe, if my memory is correct, those quest bars are sweetened with alcohol sugars which are typically subtracted in a low carb or keto diet, like fiber is, to achieve a net carb count. I’ve not ever tracked ketones so I’m not sure how long it should take someone to reach ketosis. That being said I’d focus on the easier aspects of low carb like increasing water input and maintaining low carb meals..at least in the beginning.. 🤗 take care..
  • mouse1152017
    mouse1152017 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you. Appreciate you getting back to me.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 456 Member
    edited March 2023
    do you have the package label that shows how many carbs are in the bar?
    -- a lot of the food in the database is entered by people - so can be partial information or outright wrong or outdated if the food company changed the serving size and information.

Do you have a particular 'keto' program you are trying to follow? a book, meal plan or particular resource?

For keto, in general - it depends on the program you will follow but general guidelines i've seen would be <50g of carbs per day. I have also seen <30g per day. Some do net carbs, but for this post, I am referring to original carbs before net adjustments.

Further, have seen <15g per meal/eating event. When I was doing <50g carbs per day, I was shooting for +/-12g per eating event, and I ate 4 meals/day. Some people do OMAD (one meal a day) or TRE (time restricted eating) along the lines of IF - Intermittent fasting which puts food consumption in a shorter time frame, so guidelines can vary.... but there is a lot of information and ideas in the forums and groups to explore.

and, for me, generally notice a shift into ketosis over the first few days - and related 'keto flu' symptoms the 1st week with appetite beginning to adjust around days 3-4.
  • mouse1152017
    mouse1152017 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you Life changz. Appreciate your info. I am doing < 20 grams carbs a day. The net carbs on the quest bar says 4 grams, but when I put it in on my daily food chart, it automatically comes up 21 grams of carbs. Thank you
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 456 Member
    edited March 2023
    have you tried to add it as a new food in the database? I've had to do that for several things (recently a food company changed their package and serving size which changed all the numbers) .

I can see why amounts are important for you. I would want to see the correct amount in my diary too.