Whole food plant based- low carb

Options
I joined mfp about 3 weeks ago after gaining a large amount of weight on steroids for a year due to illness. I had lost 11 lbs and now I have to start 2 new medications for PR& GCA. One is another long term steroid and the other a 2nd immunosuppressant medication. I eat about 80% wfpb &20% wfpb with once a week fish or seafood and some cheese or yogurt. I have to do low sodium as well. I’m considering low carb to try and continue to lose weight and combat the steroid weight gain. Does anyone have experience in vegan low carb? And how do I change my diary or goals to reflect a low carb plan? Thanks

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Are you working toward a vegan diet for ethical reasons? If so, awesome. I admire that.

I have loved ones at various stages in their vegetarian-vegan-pescatarian eating styles. I try, meaning I try to be plant-forward. Mostly. And I cook vegan when vegans are dining with me. (My kids, so it’s often.)

Low-carb (depending on what you mean by that) is hard with a vegan life. A top protein source is beans, and they have a fair amount of carbs. Note: It’s NOT impossible. Just hard(er). More planning, etc.

It gets a little easier if you’ll do eggs and yogurt and cheese, and still easier if you’ll eat fish. Since you mentioned that you do eat some fish, cheese, and yogurt occasionally, are you hoping to eliminate that?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    Up front bias admissions: Speaking as a long-term vegetarian (not vegan or entirely WFPB), I would not personally consider a low-carb strategy unless it was essential for some reason. (I did take steroids myself for a period of time, Dexamethasone rather than Prednisone, but it wasn't for as long as 11 months. They do have some overlapping documented side effects.)

The main paths for steroid weight gain seem to be increased appetite, fatigue (possibly via sleep disruption) so reduced NEAT/exercise intensity, and increased water retention. Responses to different macronutrient mixes can be somewhat individualized.

If you find that reduced carbs help you manage appetite, perhaps that way of eating can be useful. (Many people do find protein sating, and some find fats to be filling, but I can only recall a small number of people here saying they find carbs especially sating. YMMV.)

It's probably more common for higher (but reasonable) carb intake to be needed by some people to maintain a good energy level, though there are exceptions who find low carb eating to improve their energy level.

Certainly, reduced carb intake can lower water retention, so reduce scale weight . . . but that's not fat, and fat is what more of us are trying to lose in the long run. (I know that steroid intake can distort normal water retention patterns.)

You don't mention being diabetic, pre-diabetic or insulin resistant, any of which would make it important to manage carbs (not necessarily go full-bore low carb).

So, after a lot of blah blah blah (sorry), I share Lietchi's question: In what way do you see low carb as being helpful to you? It's a hard combination with plant-based eating (full or partial plant-based), and one of my strong feelings is that it's usually helpful to make weight loss as easy as it can be, and still succeed.
  • laurieangel64
    laurieangel64 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you working toward a vegan diet for ethical reasons? If so, awesome. I admire that.

I have loved ones at various stages in their vegetarian-vegan-pescatarian eating styles. I try, meaning I try to be plant-forward. Mostly. And I cook vegan when vegans are dining with me. (My kids, so it’s often.)

Low-carb (depending on what you mean by that) is hard with a vegan life. A top protein source is beans, and they have a fair amount of carbs. Note: It’s NOT impossible. Just hard(er). More planning, etc.

It gets a little easier if you’ll do eggs and yogurt and cheese, and still easier if you’ll eat fish. Since you mentioned that you do eat some fish, cheese, and yogurt occasionally, are you hoping to eliminate that?

• laurieangel64
    Options
    lol, not sure what I tapped but it multiplied someone’s comment. I’m tech illiterate.59 & hate technology. So not sure how to reply to a specific person’s comment, sorry. But Lietchi : if you are referring to the combination of drugs it’s because i have giant cell arthritis and it they will prevent stroke and blindness. If you are referring to the food choices of plant based it’s for medical purposes. I was diabetic and had high c reactive cardiac proteins 7 years ago and went wfpb 5 years ago at the recommendation of my Drs. 6 months later I had to stop insulin and statins and was no longer diabetic and still are not. If you mean the low carb thing that is a last ditch effort to combat the medication weight gain and lose 150 pounds. I have too many chronic illnesses and autoimmune diseases that I need to do something. Im looking for suggestions; have not started anything yet.
    And Rockmamma1111 it’s for health not ethical reasons
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    definition questions, please

what is 'WFPB'?

i *think* 'YMMV' ~ your mileage may vary?

• AnnPT77
    Options
    lol, not sure what I tapped but it multiplied someone’s comment. I’m tech illiterate.59 & hate technology. So not sure how to reply to a specific person’s comment, sorry. But Lietchi : if you are referring to the combination of drugs it’s because i have giant cell arthritis and it they will prevent stroke and blindness. If you are referring to the food choices of plant based it’s for medical purposes. I was diabetic and had high c reactive cardiac proteins 7 years ago and went wfpb 5 years ago at the recommendation of my Drs. 6 months later I had to stop insulin and statins and was no longer diabetic and still are not. If you mean the low carb thing that is a last ditch effort to combat the medication weight gain and lose 150 pounds. I have too many chronic illnesses and autoimmune diseases that I need to do something. Im looking for suggestions; have not started anything yet.
    And Rockmamma1111 it’s for health not ethical reasons

If I read your medical history above correctly, I'd say that low carb is only one possible route to reducing calories. It's getting to the right calorie level - while feeling sated, energetic, and happy alongside as much as possible - that will lead to successful weight loss. If low carb makes that path to appropriate calories easier for you, it's a good path for you. If it doesn't make it easier, it's optional. If it makes it harder, it's a bad idea.

You can experiment to figure that out, but I'd suggest giving any new regimen a fair trial, at least a couple of weeks, to figure out whether it's easier or harder; and a longer trial, more like 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycles if that applies), to know whether the calorie level is working. (Changing strategies quicker than that tends to muddy the waters, because bodies can take a little time to adjust in various ways, and weight loss in particular only tends to show up clearly as a multi-week average.)

Calories are the big deal, the direct determiner of weight loss. Food choices, macro mixes, etc., are about health, nutrition, body composition, energy level and that sort of thing, but can have an indirect on weight loss (via fatigue so reduced movement; or appetite, so difficulty hitting calorie goals). The direct effect is still from calories.

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @laurieangel64 ~ are you using pc or phone? Paid or free?

I use free version on windows PC. I can change the macros in the food diary to reflect my macro goals.

--in the personal area "my home" under 'Goals' tab, can 'EDIT' Daily Nutrition goals.

Question - have you searched the net broadly for low-carb vegan ideas?
    --personally, I have found low carb to be helpful with appetite issues, but I include full meat and dairy so really don't have much assistance for non-meat low carb eating.... other than found this little graphic I had snagged awhile back when I was looking at protein sources, fwiw, in case it helps...

79sdljx98yee.jpg

• AnnPT77
    edited March 2023
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    definition questions, please

what is 'WFPB'?

i *think* 'YMMV' ~ your mileage may vary?

WFPB = Whole Food Plant Based (usually means plants only, can mean mostly plants but not entirely)
    YMMV = yes, Your Mileage May Vary

Potentially useful reference for future questions like this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2023
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    @laurieangel64 ~ are you using pc or phone? Paid or free?

I use free version on windows PC. I can change the macros in the food diary to reflect my macro goals.

--in the personal area "my home" under 'Goals' tab, can 'EDIT' Daily Nutrition goals.

Question - have you searched the net broadly for low-carb vegan ideas?
    --personally, I have found low carb to be helpful with appetite issues, but I include full meat and dairy so really don't have much assistance for non-meat low carb eating.... other than found this little graphic I had snagged awhile back when I was looking at protein sources, fwiw, in case it helps...

79sdljx98yee.jpg

This is not a criticism, it's an add on: FWIW (For What It's Worth ;) ), nuts, nut butters and seeds do have protein, but they're not very calorie efficient, for plant-based eaters trying to hit reduced calories. They have substantially more calories from fats than from protein. Peanut butter's going to run 180 or so calories for those 6g of protein, and a handful of nuts is typically in the upper 100s or lower 200s calories per handful. Seeds vary, but tend to be higher calorie as well.

I'd say that seitan (gluten), tempeh, tofu (and other traditional soy foods) are more calorie efficient plant-based protein sources IMO (In My Opinion). For those willing to eat more processed foods, things like lentil or soy pasta may also be useful food choices.

Many vegetables (like spinach and broccoli) have a good number of protein grams per calorie, but are not complete (balanced) in essential amino acids (EAAs). Those of us who get a lot of our protein from plants will benefit from varying protein sources across the day to balance amino acids, perhaps even with an eye to protein complements (food combinations where one food is deficient in certain EAAs so we combine it with a food that is high in those, but low in ones present in the first food). We may also benefit from getting extra protein grams (compared to meat/fish eaters) in order to give a bit of wiggle room in making sure we get reasonable EAA completeness across a day or so.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    sixjnq8qd1co.jpeg

This is a variation of one of my favorite veg-based high protein, low carb, calorie friendly meals. Its about 500 calories, 30-ish grams of protein. This one is riced cauliflower mixed with reduced-sodium soy sauce underneath, and the toppings are edamame, avocado, cucumber, and sautéed tofu tossed with a glaze of soy sauce, honey, citrus juice, ginger, and garlic. I sprinkle on some cilantro and sesame seeds. And I like the crunch of wonton strips, but it adds a few extra carbs.

I sometimes use salmon or tuna instead of tofu and use different vegetables. (I’m not vegan, just a veg lover.)

This is a good one to work in if you’re moving in the vegan direction. So tasty.
  • laurieangel64
    Options
    @AnnPT77 i have an iPhone 13pro max. I figured out how to change my goals . And I eat a lot of temph and tofu. Since joining mfp I have mostly stayed away from nut butters and avocado because they always put me over the diary goal limits. I do eat low sodium tuna on salads on occasion ( hence the 20% that’s not wfpb. . We love tofu in the air fryer on a salad or in sauce over rice. Scrambled tofu sometimes. I found a vegan high protein low carb eating plan in Eating Well magazine that has a good outline. I eat that way for the most part already so should work with a few tweaks. I had some gastrointestinal issues and had to do an elimination diet and learned I have to limit a few things so I had been using gluten free baked products. They are terrible for weight loss though. I’ll have to cut much of that anyway. I’ve got a call into the nutritionist at the cardiologist I had to see for a few months after covid for advice as well. I’m slightly anemic and I’m afraid she’s going to want me to add chicken or something. I’ll continue to do fish once or twice a week and do vegan protein sources the rest
  • laurieangel64
    Options
    @Rockmama1111 this is a great power bowl. I’m going to try it. I do eat some fish and dairy about once or twice a week. I might try with low sodium tuna. Thanks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @AnnPT77 i have an iPhone 13pro max. I figured out how to change my goals . And I eat a lot of temph and tofu. Since joining mfp I have mostly stayed away from nut butters and avocado because they always put me over the diary goal limits. I do eat low sodium tuna on salads on occasion ( hence the 20% that’s not wfpb. . We love tofu in the air fryer on a salad or in sauce over rice. Scrambled tofu sometimes. I found a vegan high protein low carb eating plan in Eating Well magazine that has a good outline. I eat that way for the most part already so should work with a few tweaks. I had some gastrointestinal issues and had to do an elimination diet and learned I have to limit a few things so I had been using gluten free baked products. They are terrible for weight loss though. I’ll have to cut much of that anyway. I’ve got a call into the nutritionist at the cardiologist I had to see for a few months after covid for advice as well. I’m slightly anemic and I’m afraid she’s going to want me to add chicken or something. I’ll continue to do fish once or twice a week and do vegan protein sources the rest

I was more than slightly anemic, and not able to get out of that via food. If your nutritionist talks you about getting iron from fortified foods, such as cereal, you may as well just take a supplement, where you can control the form of iron, which made a difference for me. I had very bad stomach pain from the form of iron the VA gave me, ferrous gluconate, but never any issue with iron bisglycinate.

Do you eat shellfish? That can be a better source of iron than ground beef (for others who do eat red meat, other types are higher in iron than ground beef.) Both the shellfish and the spinach sections talk about heme vs non-heme iron, which is an important consideration.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/healthy-iron-rich-foods