MFP changing calorie goal setting

rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
edited March 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a petite person and have had my goal calories set to 1000 for several years because I have a slight metabolism. If I get a normal amount of steps-exercise (5000-7000), according to my Fitbit, I'm usually using less than 1300 calories a day, so 1200 with exercise calories would actually make me gain weight. Well, I had COVID over the past 2 weeks and was logging under 1000 a day just because that was all I was able to eat. (In fact, the 1000 helped me eat enough - I tried to get in the high 900s so I could at least be nourished through the illness). Now, MFP is automatically resetting my goal to 1200 and changing all my macros (no, I don't need to eat 50% of my calories from carbs), I guess because it's "protecting" me from having an ED because I logged under 1000 for a few days? BTW, I am now recovered and almost back to my former activity level.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Are you sure you didn't go into your Goals and change something? Your weight? I've never heard of it changing your set goals without the user having changed something in their Goals settings.

That would be a "bug" and you should report it, here;
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,486 Member
    I thought 1200 was the lower amount MFP will give as a target? It sounds like they are trying to protect you from potential eating disorder.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    I have had my “caloric goal” change a few times in 5 months without my touching a thing. MFP will not allow less than 1,000 calories to be logged and saved. This does not work for fasting (or being ill and not eating). You must “force” calories to balance to 1000 by doing a quick add of calories. You can also change your macros & micros along with your calories, on both the free version (by %) and the paid version (by calorie qty). Go to “My Home”; “Goals”; edit chosen fields, save changes. You can change them daily if you want. If your metabolism is really that slow/broken, then you really need to begin researching how to pursue mitochondrial repair and how to increase growth hormone production. You should begin by learning all that you can about fasting and muscle building. I would recommend YouTube videos by Dr. Mindy Pelz (specializes in fasting for women) and Dr. Steven Gundry (specializes in longevity fasting). You may be able to increase metabolism by making just a few tweeks to your daily menu by changing what you eat, what you do not eat and when you eat.
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2023

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited March 2023
    My metabolism isn’t “broken”. I’m 5’1 1/2” and 64 and am of average weight for my height. I’ve been told by my doctor that it’s due to my age and small size. When I’m not sick, I do strength training, yoga, Zumba, walk 10000 steps. At that level I might get to 1500 calories at the end of the day. It’s just a fact of life of aging. I know how to change the goals in the app but haven’t done so in years. Then when I got sick and logged less than 1000 for a couple of days it reset to the defaults including the macros.
  • hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    I thought 1200 was the lower amount MFP will give as a target? It sounds like they are trying to protect you from potential eating disorder.

I've found as long as I hit 1000 it deems it acceptable
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    rosebette wrote: »
    My metabolism isn’t “broken”. I’m 5’1 1/2” and 64 and am of average weight for my height. I’ve been told by my doctor that it’s due to my age and small size. When I’m not sick, I do strength training, yoga, Zumba, walk 10000 steps. At that level I might get to 1500 calories at the end of the day. It’s just a fact of life of aging. I know how to change the goals in the app but haven’t done so in years. Then when I got sick and logged less than 1000 for a couple of days it reset to the defaults including the macros.

I think it's just a glitch in the system. Mine always stayed the way I set it until just this past year and it started reverting my goals back to default calories and macros and removing my exercise goals completely. Now I have to go into my settings and change it at least a couple times a week. MFP support says to delete the app and reinstall which I dont trust, I may just find it easier to manually readjust my goals weekly.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Yes!!! Mine has switched a lot over the last few months. I have to keep changing it back, calories and macros.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I've had the macros reset when I made other changes. For those of you having things reset WITHOUT making ANY changes, please report this bug: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2023
    ...Yeah, it's a bug...but it must be only on phone apps, since someone above said Tech Support told her/him to reinstall the app.

I've never had a problem with that happening on the web version.

• PrettyGritt
    PrettyGritt Posts: 8 Member
    I had my whole post about this removed as I’ve been told by several Drs I have to eat 800 cals to lose weight as my BMR has been measured. Alas this app and all the people on it freaks out. I have several autoimmune diseases and lipoma and lymphoedema and people have to understand that these things mess up your metabolism. You can still eat healthy!!!! So annoying as a paying member it’s super annoying
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,386 Member
    If your doctors monitoring your weightloss and health then stick with them. For every normal weightloss, regardless of how overweight women should not eat below 1200 calories. You still haven't mentioned what your stats are and your measured BMR so we could actually help you. Why not just start a friendly thread like: Hi I'm Kristy. My stats are abc, BMR was measured at... my goal is... how do I get started? instead of just lashing out in the first thread and wanting to tear down how the whole site is set up. <3
  • PrettyGritt
    PrettyGritt Posts: 8 Member
    I didn’t really want to give my personal information away and wasn’t actually asking for advice.. I just want the app to work the same for me as it does for everyone else, yes I do trust the 3 professional Drs working with me on this and you can eat a surprising amount of food if you don’t eat rubbish 😊
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,386 Member
    Ok, but you vented in a userforum. Here users help other users. If you're not happy with the service MFP provided you with you should contact them directly, or ask for a refund if you paid. And honestly, being a paying user doesn't mean you can flout the rules of this site. Your previous thread was likely deleted because you promoted a very low calorie diet, which is a nope here, regardless of whether you pay or not.