Breastfeeding Mamas

Options
klepregnancy
klepregnancy Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Over the course of 2 months, I’ve lost about 13 lbs. I haven’t noticed any dip in my milk supply which I’m so thankful for because I didn’t mean to lose weight that fast - it just kind of happened 🤷‍♀️ but now I’m intentionally trying to lose a couple more pounds and am being more cautious about my calorie intake.

How often should I lower calories to continue weight loss but to not cause any issues with milk supply?

I’m currently sitting at about 1965 calories and losing around .5 lbs a week but wouldn’t mind if I lost about a lb a week so I thought I’d try lowering it another 50-100 calories 🤷‍♀️

Any tips/advice would be great!!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I wouldn't lower calories until I had a couple of weeks in a row without weight loss, and then I'd drop by 200 calories/day, and give that a couple of weeks to see if I started losing weight again. I also would eat more if I was losing more than a half a pound a week for a couple of weeks in a row.

That's not advice, just how I would approach it if my milk supply was a top priority for me. And in the end, realize that it's not something you can control. Plenty of women who do everything "right" still end up with too little or no milk before they wanted. It just happens. Be kind to yourself, and congratulations on your baby!
  • klepregnancy
    klepregnancy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I wouldn't lower calories until I had a couple of weeks in a row without weight loss, and then I'd drop by 200 calories/day, and give that a couple of weeks to see if I started losing weight again. I also would eat more if I was losing more than a half a pound a week for a couple of weeks in a row.

That's not advice, just how I would approach it if my milk supply was a top priority for me. And in the end, realize that it's not something you can control. Plenty of women who do everything "right" still end up with too little or no milk before they wanted. It just happens. Be kind to yourself, and congratulations on your baby!

Thank you so much!
  • MomJess4
    MomJess4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. I lost a lot of weight breastfeeding because my baby got all my calories. I wouldn't decrease your intake until your baby is older and starting to take other food.
  • sarahq81
    sarahq81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new addition! I’d echo other commenters and say stay with what you are doing. You might need to be prepared for baby’s growth spurts or hungrier times.
    There were some weeks I’d not lose much, and other weeks I’d lose 4 pounds whilst having to get up in the middle of the night and eat chocolate bars. I miss those days!