Toes!

Options
My second toes are longer than my big toe, which seems to be my problem. For the past 2 years (since I started exercising properly and regularly) I've basically had no toenails on those two toes...the nails turn black and fall off. Unfortunately the trauma caused by that has begun to be rather painful. My toes will swell up and hurt after every walk. I've tried a range of different shoes, and tying laces, but nothing works. I've tried hikers wool, toe protectors and toe socks. No joy.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    We can't give you a medical diagnosis...
    "A detached toenail is usually caused by an injury, fungal infection, or psoriasis."
    About 2.5% of marathon runners develop a subungual hematoma, which is a bruise or bleeding in the blood vessels directly under the nail bed that makes your toenail look black and pushes it off the nail bed."

Greek toes or Morton's Toe

https://www.physio-pedia.com/Morton's_Toe
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I lost my nails on both big toes more than 15 years ago after hiking into and out of the Grand Canyon (not an uncommon injury, I’ve since heard). Went to the family doctor a couple times and then went to the podiatrist; I wish I went there first! Weeks/months(?) of pain. I wish my family doctor recommended this at my first appt.
  • dvdiamond11
    dvdiamond11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am just going to agree with kshama2001, you need to see a podiatrist.
    You said you have tried different shoes so I am sure you tried going up a size. I know running shoes for those who run need to go up a half a size.
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Same problem, and I'm an endurance runner. I've tried all types of shoes, insoles, socks, lacing, etc. But every race season I end up losing that toenail. What has worked so far are those toe caps (I call them toe condoms).
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have lost my big toe nail three times now from injury. It's never been awfully painful, although I did have a tender few weeks, it didn't stop me doing anything, although they took forever to fall off and forever to grow back. I wonder if there is something specific causing it that a GP might be able to help with :)
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    GP sent me to podiatrist. Pretty much there's nothing I can do other than file the nails down or remove them both surgically. Repeated trauma gets 'learned" by the nail, and it continues to thicken which exacerbates the trauma. I've trialed filing them down, wearing the silicone toe sleeves and socks with individual toe things (I call them foot gloves) have helped a little. I can at least walk without too much pain. Running is a different story:(
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    There is a thing called 'runner's toe'....which is caused by repeated strain on the foot (usually due to poor fitting shoes or something with the runner's form that causes trauma to that toe). This might be happening to your 2nd toe as opposed to great toe since it's longer.

You prob want to see a pediatrist to see if there's anything you can do. Might just remove the toenails similar to removing some nails from great toes if they cause ingrown nails often. My SO doesnt' have one of his big toes for this reason...and he has hammer toe on both feet as well which doesnt' seem to cause him any issues so far...