Getting sick of Chicken breast and thighs

Options
Doug_T
Doug_T Posts: 148 Member
Looking for simple recipes and techniques here. I eat Chicken breast or thigh almost daily for lunch and frequently for dinner. My kids are complaining too.
I love spicy, and I prefer simple somewhat quicker cooking. I work from home and have full use of my kitchen plus a gas and blackstone grill.

I have switched up some meals for the kiddos and I have subbed in beef and fish where I can but also really not doing well on the fish.
Tagged:

Replies

• Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Beef pot roast:
    1 beef roast (chuck)
    Bag of baby carrots
    Sliced potatoes
    Sliced onions
    Place ingredients in a cooking bag, season with chopped garlic, and salt/ pepper.
    Place in the oven at 350 for about 3 hours.

Egg white omelette
    1 cup liquid egg whites
    1/2 cup diced ham
    1/4 cup fat free cheese
    Raw mushrooms, spinach, and green onion.
    Spray pan with a little bit of non stick spray. Place veggies and ham stirring until almost cooked.
    Add egg whites. Add cheese in the middle. Fold egg over when cooked, and enjoy!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Download Pintrest if you haven't. I've got about 40-50 recipes saved. It's been a lifesaver.
  • carljan435
    carljan435 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try some pork chop recipes. They are lean and very tasty. Also pork loin. I love it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Baked salmon - mix powdered ginger and soy sauce to form a paste. For a pound, try 1 T powdered ginger and somewhat less soy sauce. Bake at 400 degrees. I like mine to be medium rare/122 degrees and I think this takes 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.

Thai tandoori chicken - mix 1-3 teaspoons of Thai red curry paste with 1 C full fat Greek yogurt and use it to marinate chicken, your choice of breast or thigh and bone in or not. Should marinate at least two hours and not longer than eight. Cook time will be determined by type of chicken and bone-in or not, the longest time being bone-in, skin-on thighs, which I bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until 185 degrees or so. (Cooked a little longer than necessary so falling off the bone.) The marinade tends to separate, and is good over rice. I usually have broccoli for the veg with this.

Maesri Thai masaman curry with chicken and potatoes. Giving Amazon as an example, but much cheaper if you buy locally, especially at an Asian store. The recipe is on the can. The recipe is also on Amazon, but all the proportions were messed up when converting from grams and onions were added.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ETQ4XE/

For a quick delicious Thai dish using this product, stir fry one can with 2 cups of coconut milk and let boil for 8 minutes. Add 2.5 lb chicken, 1 lb potato and onion, 1/2 cup water, and cook 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with roasted peanuts if desired. Serve with jasmine rice. Product of Thailand.

Actual recipe:
    ksc2rm9skswv.png

For dishes with coconut milk, I often reduce calories / stretch coconut milk by adding chicken stock.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    When I worked from home, I'd often prep something more complicated at lunch time, put it in the crockpot, and it would be ready for dinner. I liked to get some form of activity at lunch time, and cooking worked great if it was raining out.
  • wswallace
    wswallace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This Blackened Salmon Sandwich recipe has turned into a family favorite. Even my teenage son has started eating fish now because of it.

https://www.feastingathome.com/blackened-salmon-sandwich/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is a great resource for recipes. I don't limit my diet to chicken, though I eat plenty of it...mostly thighs, I haven't had a chicken breast in years...but I also eat pork and beef in a variety of cuts on the regular.

I eat fish, but typically that is my canned tuna salad that I take for lunch 2-3 times per week and I make salmon croquettes occasionally at home for dinner using canned salmon (mostly a summer dish). Occasionally we have shrimp or cod frozen when I get a wild hair while shopping at Costco, but I live in the desert so fish is not plentiful and it's expensive for frozen and outrageously priced for fresh since the only place that really has it fresh is a fish shop that has it flown in daily and whose primary customers are restaurants.
  • glo424
    glo424 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin. It’s simple to prepare either grilled or roasted and tasty. Low in calories, use a marinade or dry rub. Cooks relatively quickly and good for weeknight dinners. Serve with a steamed veggie and you’re set.
  • CindyBelleN
    CindyBelleN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On Pinterest’s search bar, type in “quick healthy chicken” (or fish, beef, pork, meatless, whatever) and there’s always great recipes to be found!
    I save them to a board, plan my grocery trip & menus for the week, and I just discovered I can download recipes to MFP too, for tracking (as long as I don’t alter the recipe much). It really helps!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Stir Fry:

Brown Rice or brown rice noodles
    Leftover grilled chicken, shrimp, pork, or beef
    Frozen mixed veggies (w/water chestnuts and baby corn if you can find them)
    Teriyaki sauce
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Lamb chops (not cheap) cook quickly and delicious in the air fryer, 4 minutes each side, garlic paste, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin powder.
    Ground beef for tacos or meat sauce. sautee some Onions, cook with cumin powder, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic paste. For tacos add fresh cilantro and green and/or red peppers, for pasta meat sauce add fresh basil.
    Halibut pan fry with butter and olive oil, just needs, salt, pepper, garlic paste, and paprika.
  • Maria_Albina
    Maria_Albina Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Philly cheesesteak Mac and cheese:

sauté ground beef with some au jus seasoning, and then set that aside.
    sauté onions and green peppers and add that to the beef.
    Boil elbow macaroni and add enough of plain Greek yogurt to the noodles just to cover them. Add sharp cheddar cheese and half ounce of provolone.

Mix everything together and voila!
  • Fitgoal90
    Fitgoal90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Teriyaki Steak Bowls- Cut steak into bite-size cubes. Add a little oil to a cast iron skillet on med heat. Add onion and minced garlic to skillet and let cook for a minute. Season steak with salt and pepper. Add steak and a touch of margarine to skillet and cook, tossing to brown all sides. Add teriyaki sauce and toss to coat the steak as it thickens. Top a bowl of plain cooked white rice with steak and veggies of choice (broccoli, edamame, corn, avocado, etc ).

OPTIONAL YUMYUM SAUCE: Mayo, ketchup, hot sauce, melted margarine, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, touch of sugar, water to thin it out a little. I do not measure, but alter to taste. Only use a drizzle or 2.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Fitgoal90 wrote: »
    Teriyaki Steak Bowls- Cut steak into bite-size cubes. Add a little oil to a cast iron skillet on med heat. Add onion and minced garlic to skillet and let cook for a minute. Season steak with salt and pepper. Add steak and a touch of margarine to skillet and cook, tossing to brown all sides. Add teriyaki sauce and toss to coat the steak as it thickens. Top a bowl of plain cooked white rice with steak and veggies of choice (broccoli, edamame, corn, avocado, etc ).

OPTIONAL YUMYUM SAUCE: Mayo, ketchup, hot sauce, melted margarine, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, touch of sugar, water to thin it out a little. I do not measure, but alter to taste. Only use a drizzle or 2.

I call something I make like this hibachi bowls. Really any protein works. I usually do steak, chicken, or shrimp or even a combination. For veggies on the side my favorites are sliced carrots, zucchini and onions, broccoli, or mushrooms.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    Options
    There are cuts of pork and beef that are similar in calories to chicken breast.

Don’t fall into the “must eat chicken to lose weight ” trap.

Most cuts have nutrition information on the package somewhere.

I found some very good ground beef at 120 cal /4 ounces that enabled us to have XL burgers last weekend. Yum.

I often get low cal cuts of beef, slice them wafer thin, dry fry in a pan with some toasted onion seasoning, and serve on a bun with a slice of melted cheese, and A1 or Worcestershire sauce. Makes a nice faux Philly cheesesteak and takes longer to preheat the pan than it does to cook.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    If you can power through a workout and life then you can power through eating chicken everyday. Just use different sauces, slices and condiments.

I also was getting bored.of it then I started alternating different salsa dips on the chicken

Where do they say they work out? They say their kids and family are complaining about eating chicken every day.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I grew up with a working Mom and she did the following:

Turn on broiler
    Throw in pork chop

Smaller chops should take 4-5 minutes per side
    3/4 inch chops should take 7-8 minutes per side
    1 inch or more chops should take 8-10 minutes per side

Add seasonings to taste.

Voila - put on plate - dinner is ready

The above can be used for
    Pork
    Beef
    Fish
    Bison
    Venison

Change times based on weight. None of the above have to be well done.

👩🏼‍🍳
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you can power through a workout and life then you can power through eating chicken everyday. Just use different sauces, slices and condiments.

I also was getting bored.of it then I started alternating different salsa dips on the chicken

There's zero need to eat friggin' chicken everyday. This concept of just eating chicken is about the dumbest thing in the entire diet and fitness industry...and there's a lot of dumb *kitten* that comes out of the diet and fitness industry.