I need a little help getting past my mindset...

Options
2»

Replies

• bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had the same thoughts past couple days, " am I too old to start this?" I signed on to mpf to search out woman my age ( 43) to see if there were any who were over weight and started weight training. First post I saw was a 46 year old woman who looked in her 30's with a rockin body, and theres so many more! Saw a 93 or maybe 83? year old man on the news the other night, weight lifter. He looked amazing.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    When you are ready you'll do it. Age doesn't matter. You want it, you'll do it. You have to believe in yourself that you CAN do it.

Good luck! You got this.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My dad was overweight all his life, and came to his senses in his late 50s... Now he's almost 70 and strolling like a spring chicken from exotic country to another enjoying his retirement.

You're one decade younger. No excuses!!

JUST DO IT.
  • LaserMum
    Options
    I know this is going to sound TOTALLY dumb, but I know I have to, and I do want to start weight training, but I keep thinking, for some reason, that I'm getting 'too old' to see any real results. I turn 44 this month. I don't know why I feel this way, but its keeping me from getting really motivated to start. I appreciate any feedback, advice, etc.!!

You wash your mouth out with soap young man!!! I'm 53 and no-one's going to tell me that I'm too old for anything.

Well, OK maybe the reproducing things beyond me now - but there's a lot of life in me yet and I sure as hell intend to lose the weight to be able to live it to the fullest. I've wasted too much time being obese. It's time for change.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/15134

400 pound deadlift at 80 years old. Still think you're too old?
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Stronglifts 5X5 program. Join up (it's free!) and you'll see loads of success stories from guys your age and older.

But if you've never lifted before make sure you start with low weights and get your technique right before you start lifting heavier.
  • RobynSmithIBECHS
    RobynSmithIBECHS Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As they say, age is only a number. They only real thing that is stopping you from losing is the mind set. We have all done it before! The true show of motivation is not running the extra lap, but running a lap in the first place. The hardest thing is getting started, but once you get past the daily walls it is a piece of cake. After all, "You must do the things you think you cannot do". We all have full faith in you.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound TOTALLY dumb, but I know I have to, and I do want to start weight training, but I keep thinking, for some reason, that I'm getting 'too old' to see any real results. I turn 44 this month. I don't know why I feel this way, but its keeping me from getting really motivated to start. I appreciate any feedback, advice, etc.!!

My Dh is 44. He started thinking that way as well until only recently. I'll admit he went kicking & screaming the whole way like a petulant child. It wasn't pretty.

He had always been into weight training & was rather large in our 20's through to late 30's. Something had gone wrong along the way for him though, as all the training he did started to hurt his back, his joints, etc. Sometime around our 40's he just thought it was his age catching up to him as well as all those years power lifting.

For him, it turned out he needed to adjust his diet and get back to basics as far as form via youtube videos & additional research. Sometime about the 90's or so, there was so much regurgitated BS about weight training (bro-science) that he just thought there was nothing really new about it, so he just accepted his fate. Lots of bickering back & forth on forums, 'my way is the only way', etc.

It took a lot of experimenting before he found something that worked for him....it was starch & sugar restricted diet, and yoga as well as getting his fundamental form down. Now he's able to progress, no pain in his joints, squats don't hurt, and he even looks younger. Doing this has changed his silhouette back to athletic and closer to what he was like in his 20's.

It only took about 6 weeks to see improvement once we hit on the right combo for him, but it took my subclinical turned clinical, T2D diagnosis for us both to hit upon the correct combination for both of us.

We'd both always thought Atkins & carb restriction was a bunch of BS and vehemently denied it's validity. It sounded utterly hilarious to us because we came from low fat, low calories is the only way genre. Once we went LCHF to get control of my blood sugar, imagine our surprise when he started dropping crazy body fat & increasing muscle mass.

Good luck and I hope you find a combination that will help you realize your potential the way we did, just not through illness :ohwell:
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You DID help me change my thinking!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    44 isn't old. Think about it this way, if you live an average length of time, you still have another 30 years to go!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    44 isn't old. Think about it this way, if you live an average length of time, you still have another 30 years to go!

Well said, jadedone.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    44???? I've got kids your age.I turned 66 this year and lift 3x per week.