When will they notice?

Options
Hi all,

I am 165cm and currently 105kg. I have lost now 17kg from my start weight of 122kg since I decided to regain my life, my body and my self 3 months ago!

I am having a great time learning about making the right choices and planning my meals in advance, the extra energy that I have gained and the health benefits that I am sure will all follow.

I have come from being a couch potato with a full time sedentary job, eating take away meals 4 or 5 times a week and possibly not the best choices for all the other meals I once consumed. Lets face it I took the easy way out for way too long and paid the ultimate!!!!

Never the less I am now spending half an hour religiously on the treadmill each night mixing it up with walking / jogging and then hitting the pavement on the weekends. Yesterday I walked 5kms in the beautiful fresh air... I would not have done that 6 months ago. If the weather is not on my side I have been swimming laps and doing some resistance exercises in the local "Heated" pool.

My half way goal is to be between 90 – 95kg by Christmas as I am heading on a cruise to the South Pacific and would love to be able to feel happy and confident about my body. Not locked away in a cabin and wearing layers of clothes!!!!

Anyway, since loosing the first 17kg I have not had one person comment about a change in my appearance, apart from my Mum (she knows I am trying to loose weight, so I think she is being as supportive as possible)... I am right on the cusp of going from size 18 to a 16. I would really appreciate hearing other similar stories and understand what am I to expect. I know talking to some people about their weight can be a touchy subject, however, I am trying so damn hard to get some positive feedback.

At what point did people start to notice?

Replies

• andthevolcano
    andthevolcano Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For people that see you constantly, it will likely take a while for them to notice. I've gone from 240lbs to 221lbs in the last two months and no one I see regularly has said anything. However when I went home and saw people I hadn't seen in a few months, I got compliments.

I can understand the importance of positive feedback, but as long as you're on the right track and getting healthier, that's what matters! People will notice eventually.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Some perceptive people that were also losing weight noticed 4 kg (9 pounds) in. Most people just started really noticing at 13 kg (about 28 pounds) lost and when I wore new well fitting clothes.
  • christinejeffrey1
    Options
    I was puzzled by this also...it's really surprising how long it takes people to notice particularly if they see you everyday.
    Friends who hadn't seen me in a long time noticed straightaway!

I think also (men especially) know that weight is a sensitive issue and don't always know how to phrase it so it comes off like a compliment.
  • nino07110922
    Options
    It takes a while. Kinda sad to think that people just don't notice others around them. I've been diligent at working out since April of this year. It was probably a month or two before ANYONE said anything. It's only been in the last month that people are enthusiastically commenting regularly. MFP is a great place to share small successes with friends. WE notice - and cheerlead every step of the way. That's what keeps me going - my friends are always supportive.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Most people who aren't very close to you probably won't say anything because they'll thinks it's rude to acknowledge your weight, even if it's a good thing that you've been losing weight. Sometimes they're just waiting for the right cue from you. For instance, if you were to mention to someone that you're tracking your calories or cutting sugar or what-not, that's when they'll probably feel comfortable enough to jump in and say "Oh, I've noticed that you've lost weight!".
  • devilkin
    devilkin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    People notice the most when you adjust your wardrobe to match - when I finally went to smaller (skinny!) pants, and fitted shirts, they noticed alright :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Some poeple just wont ever say anything because if you say 'wow, you've lost weight' then it may be interpreted as 'wow you used to be so fat'...
  • WaterAllsDay
    Options
    “It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. Give it 12 weeks. Don’t QUIT!”
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I found that people started really noticing around six months after I started. I was losing around 2lbs a week during that time. Now that I've finished losing, and am 137lbs lighter than my heaviest weight, everyone who I see who I haven't seen for a while notices as soon as I see them.

Even now, people will see me and be like "oh you've lost more weight" even though I haven't, but that might be because they've got so used to me losing that they take a while to realise that I've stopped. Maybe!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 40lbs currently but it wasn't until I lost around 30lbs that anyone commented. Now almost everyone is!

In time it was around 3 months for me and 3 months of hard work and real dedication. Stick to it it'll take time but it'll be worth it.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on the weight loss and lifestyle change - woohoo!

Secondly, I agree with what others have said - those that see you everyday probably aren't able to see those subtle changes happening.
    However, I wouldn't be surprised if some people have noticed, but don't want to put their foot in it by bringing it up. At least, until they're sure that it's not just their eyes (and memory) playing tricks on them!

Congrats again, and keep up the hard work! (I wish I was losing as well as you! :bigsmile: )
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i think i am the black sheep of my family it seems like i can lose a lot and no one will notice but i hear your sister lost this and this it gets to be a pain
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    it's people that don't see you very often that notice most, and in a big, nice way!

people you live with or work with get used to you every day so don't notice the 'big' difference

I played golf with a mate last week who I hadn't see for a while, his opening " f****** h*** "was the best compliment I could hope to have received :-)