28 Day Veggie Challenge

Options
Has anyone done the 28 day veggie challenge from behealthyu.com? Our house is interested in trying it, but we don't want an influx of spam or find out that we end up having to buy products or otherthings.

Thanks.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    No. But I do eat unusually high amounts of veggies/fruits (800g+ most days), with great enthusiasm.

If you're concerned about spam/marketing, I'm wondering why that particular veggie challenge appeals, vs. others on the web that are totally available free on the web site; or personal challenge approaches like buying a veggie cookbook (or using free veggie recipes on the web, library book, etc.) and working your way through it; or buying a new-to-you veggie once a week and figuring out how to cook/eat it; etc.

Is your goal to learn new ways to cook/eat veggies, or mainly to get more of them into your eating routine?

There are threads here that could be useful for some of that kind of thing, also free/no spam.

I hope you'll get an answer to your explicit question from someone here with experience with that one, though. IMO, most people would benefit from eating more veggies (and using them more adventurously), and I personally think they're really delicious and satisfying.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I liked that the program introduces a nea veggie each day with recipes and info about it; so something new each day, but without the extra work/time of researching all of it.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I liked that the program introduces a nea veggie each day with recipes and info about it; so something new each day, but without the extra work/time of researching all of it.

That makes sense: Easy is good!

Like I said, I hope someone has the actual specific info you want.

Honestly not trying to be a jerk here, but in case you shy off that site's offer without reassurances, there's a book I could suggest that your library might have (and that's available for $5-6 USD on used book sites), called Greene on Greens.

I'm sure there are other similar books, but this is a specific one I know of and enjoyed that I think is close to your goals. It has a chapter on each of 30-some different veggies, with a few recipes for each. They differ in complexity, and some do include meat, but there are a lot of easy** plant-only ones in case that's what you're seeking. Here's the table of contents:

hgrfmdgx41f5.jpg

** I know "easy" is situational. I'm pretty old and have been scratch cooking for decades, so maybe my definition isn't relatable. So you can gauge, here's a random-ish page:

pr40s0xsdcay.jpg

I'm really enthusiastic about veggies . . . that probably makes me a little pushy sometimes, so I hope I'm not offending you.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You're not offending me and I appreciate that book recommendation; we will have to look into it. One thing that has made it difficult is that the produce quality
    In our grocery store has declined so much; especially during winter. I used to live broccoli steamed, but now it just crosses me out (it's not as fresh as in the summer time and just gets bitter and mushy these days.
  • AnnPT77
    edited April 2023
    Options
    You're not offending me and I appreciate that book recommendation; we will have to look into it. One thing that has made it difficult is that the produce quality
    In our grocery store has declined so much; especially during winter. I used to live broccoli steamed, but now it just crosses me out (it's not as fresh as in the summer time and just gets bitter and mushy these days.

Frozen brocc, when roasted . . . not terrible. Add a little balsamic vinegar or soy sauce - pretty good.

IMO, roasted > steamed, whatever (most veg). I often will lightly oil the baking pan (so it doesn't stick), but not oil the veg.

In Winter, experiment with root veggies. Parsnips, turnips, and also cabbage, eggplant, more - all really nice roasted. Turnips + mushrooms: IMO excellent. The white (hakurei) turnips, kohlrabi - also nice raw, as well as roasted. To roast, I just put in the oven at 400F, monitor until done. Herbs, parmesan (real, not the dust in a can), vinegar - nice adds.

I'm mostly a TikTok skeptic, but there was a TikTok thing where you put some cherry tomatoes, chopped garlic and a hunk of feta with a tiny bit oil in a baking dish at 400F until nice, then mix with cooked pasta (red lentil pasta if you want extra protein) - so tasty. I did it with cremini (baby portobello) mushrooms in a separate baking dish, add raw spinach to the mushrooms right at the end (while the mushrooms still have a little moisture) - mix it all to serve. Yum! (Can't put the mushrooms with the tomatoes because too much liquid, so not the same roasty goodness. Do tomatoes, garlic, maybe a little oil in one dish, mushrooms and late-add spinach in another.)