Carnivore Craz

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    is it funny that this diet doesn't need supplements,

If your sources aren't mentioning the need to consume offal, you need better sources.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Day 5 Starts with a butter coffee, then at noonish 2 steaks, lift at 5 and maybe some eggs before bed at 9.started at 211 and this morning I was 207. Need to hit 181 on Sept 16th for a Powerlifting meet.

That's completely lacking in offal, which means you are missing out on valuable nutrients - not a good plan long term.

Disclosing: I'm not carnivore, but I am low/er carb.

Depends. If someone eats head to tail as they say, then all the essential vitamins and minerals are there. Depending on what someone on a carnivore diet is eating could some vitamins and minerals be optimized and of course the answer would be yes, you could supplement to optimize, again depending on what your consuming. Bone broth imo is essential for collagen, amino's like glutamine and arginine and numerous other health benefits. I consume beef and chicken broth and suggest you do for it's many benefits. Fish and other aquatic is important for omegas especially DHA and oysters for things like B12, vitamin D, copper, zinc, and manganese. Anyway the list of essential vitamins and minerals in animal products are some of the best sources available and the best for bioavailability, which is mostly under appreciated and misunderstood.

Beef liver is the powerhouse in this regard and offal generally speaking but most people especially North America have never warmed up to the idea as much as Europe has and especially Asia. I mean lamb and goat in NA almost doesn't even show up on the radar at all let alone weird things like spleens, heart, kidney and brain, oh my, not going to happen here lol. On a personal note, I do consume offal weekly.

It's possible I suspect, simply because dietary needs are also unique to the individual, and that was one particular day but in a general population of carnivore way, all the essentials are there, nothing fortified or enriched and basically whole foods with the exception of dairy, cheese, honey, that kind of thing, which are processed so it's difficult to assess. Personally I would be eating offal and the majority do just to hedge the bet.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I lost weight doing this about 20 years ago. I did very low carb for about 8 months once. There is no question that it makes you immediately lose weight. It has a well-known diuretic effect (search "keto or low-carb diuretic"). What this means is that you can lose several pounds in the very first week of doing this and you will gain it back quickly as soon as you add the carbs back.

So, what's the downside of very-low-carb? Well, it can throw off your electrolyte balance, make you constipated, and you can't do much aerobic activity. All of that can be mitigated and it seems to affect people differently.

And, you can very well lose weight just by limiting calories, which usually limits carbs to a large degree, just not necessarily to the "very low" range.
  • neanderthin
    edited April 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If your sources aren't mentioning the need to consume offal, you need better sources.

Offal is animal, and therefore it does supply all the essentials and it's hard to tell from 1 days food consumption if the OP is or isn't consuming offal. And my criticism is based on the fact that if someone doesn't consume offal that Vit C might be deficient but seafood has decent Vit C as well but the jury is out on that one but at this time I'm not convinced 100% if the amount that is available without offal will cause a deficiency which has to do with the GLUT-1 transport receptors upregulation of vit C in the absence of carbohydrates or basically dietary glucose. Cheers.
  • neanderthin
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I lost weight doing this about 20 years ago. I did very low carb for about 8 months once. There is no question that it makes you immediately lose weight. It has a well-known diuretic effect (search "keto or low-carb diuretic"). What this means is that you can lose several pounds in the very first week of doing this and you will gain it back quickly as soon as you add the carbs back.

So, what's the downside of very-low-carb? Well, it can throw off your electrolyte balance, make you constipated, and you can't do much aerobic activity. All of that can be mitigated and it seems to affect people differently.

And, you can very well lose weight just by limiting calories, which usually limits carbs to a large degree, just not necessarily to the "very low" range.

My water weight has been accounted for, about 12 years ago and yep, water weight comes back when more carbs are consumed but if a person gains all their weight back assuming they were on a low carb diet more than a month, it's because they're eating too much, you know the CICO thing. A low carb diet deals with real whole foods, the salt content is very low and salt needs to be supplemented or your electrolytes will be effected and most people that give low carb a go without doing any research before hand will find that out the hard way. Cheers
  • Iron_Lion51
    Iron_Lion51 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still dropping weight slowly like I needed to, Started a while back at 219 and now at 205.
    I need to get my weight to 181 for a powerlifting comp on Sept 16. So dropping at 1 to 2 percent per week I will hit that goal. Strength is slowing going up, I'm following the 5/3/1 method and ever month gaining 5 to 10 pounds of strength on my main lifts. I have been having doctor appointments ever 30 days Since November because I totaled my motorcycle and broke the ribs on my right side and had a 60% collapse lung. Blood work all normal, B/P consistent at 120/70 even directly after the accident. Doctors were amazed at my quick recover. The only thing is healing the intercoastal muscles and obloquies because the were turn and cut for chest tube.

All I can say this working and has worked in the past. I feel great!!!
  • Iron_Lion51
    edited May 2023
    Options
    One anther thing i have been eating 1.5 pds of fatty beef in the morning and 1.5 pds in the early evenings.
    Sleep has been deep and restful.

rnamudodzfdq.jpg
    t9eyf7155p4v.jpg

• Iron_Lion51
    edited May 2023
    Options

npy5mrzloo63.png
  • Iron_Lion51
    Options
    Down to 197 and feeling better then ever and my strengh is slowly moving upward with all my lifts 😘
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Great!

Have you started consuming offal?