Experienced Athlete, New to Xfit

Jumping into Xfit for first time. Certified NASM, experienced in strength conditioning, athlete most of my life. Really just looking for any tips or do’s and donts for a new comer. My experience has taught me that any foreign routine comes with its risks if not respected properly; especially within the first few months. 1 week before heading into a cutting phase for the next 16 weeks, and I figure this would be a great way to maintain strength while throwing in the additional cardio I need to trim around the edges to achieve my desired physique. Any help much appreciated!

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I’m not a CrossFitter but I’m an Oly Weightlifter. I have friends who have done CrossFit, and the biggest issue was when a trainer encouraged speed or weight over form. The good trainers spend time getting technique right before allowing people to max out or go ballistic. If you have S&C experience then you have the form already, but just don’t sacrifice it for speed - that’s where the injury comes in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,995 Member
    I’m not a CrossFitter but I’m an Oly Weightlifter. I have friends who have done CrossFit, and the biggest issue was when a trainer encouraged speed or weight over form. The good trainers spend time getting technique right before allowing people to max out or go ballistic. If you have S&C experience then you have the form already, but just don’t sacrifice it for speed - that’s where the injury comes in.

That's what I've heard from Crossfitter friends, too: That the choice of Crossfit gyms/boxes matters, for that reason.

There's another similar problem I've seen, and again it might not affect you depending on your experience: Some of the Crossfit trainers who show people how to use a rowing machine are . . . not good. Sometimes, even dangerous (to back/spine health, mostly, but rotator cuff and rib injuries can also happen). This is from directly observing some Crossfitters or their trainers row around here at community events, or in online videos, not hearsay from my Crossfit friends.

Context: I'm not - in my own opinion, of course ;) - talking trash here. I'm a rower (on-water and machine), have rowed for around 20 years, competed, was level 2 coaching certified by USRowing, had excellent coaching myself (highly successful NCAA Div I & Div III coaches, former Olympians, etc.).

Some Crossfitters (and some of their coaches) have great technique. Some have poor (risky) technique but put up good race times anyway (worrisome, but details matter). It's a technical activity, not intuitive.

If you don't already know how to row, check what the Crossfit trainers say/demo against authoritative sources like Concept 2 (instruction videos), Dark Horse Rowing, UCanRow2 . . . .