Need help with cooking for one person to lose weight and one to gain

Options
I'm looking to lose another 75 lbs and my daughter who is 22 and 5'2 is 94 lbs and needs to gain weight, maybe 10 - 15 lbs so she has a better bmi.

Problem is I have acid reflux and can't eat many things, I also have a geographical tongue so some acidity foods burns my tongue. I'm also diabetic so I need to keep to healthier carbs. And to top it all off I'm not rich and food is expensive.

Currently I am struggling with not eating sugar/sweets. Because of depression I lost 70lbs without trying as I was barely eating and eating crap food when I was eating. I started eating better in the last month to try to get healthy. And my current weight is 200 lbs.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I mean, logically you two can eat the same thing. She would just eat more while you would eat less.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My partner is tall and thin and has a very physical job and probably needs 1000 more calories per day than I do. But it still needs to be nutritious! For the meals we have together, I usually cook 4 servings: 1 for me, 2 for him, 1 for the fridge or freezer for a future meal.

I’m betting, though, that your daughter probably doesn’t have the appetite that my guy has. Is she trying to gain weight?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    While avoiding foods that aggravate your medical conditions, serve inexpensive proteins (beans, cheaper cuts of chicken, turkey and beef, whatever "loss leader" is on sale) plus inexpensive starch (potatoes, rice, whole grains, pasta --which you have a small serving of and your daughter larger), plus nonstarchy veg (which you have more of to fill up and your daughter less to leave more room for higher calorie foods), plus fatty condiments for your daughter (could be as simple as drizzling olive oil, butter, gravy or cheese sauce on her food).
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Try shredding chicken breasts in the crock pot. Add some chicken broth, maybe a few onions. I like to also add some ranch powder mix and a cup of pesto. Then you can eat the chicken over the course of the week in different ways. Your daughter could put it on rice or in tacos with guacamole, cheese, and beans for higher calories. You could have it with veggies.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Your daughter just needs more of what you have during meals. If she struggles with the “more” as in volume, she can hide it. Add a pat of butter to her side dish, she can choose whole milk while you choose skim, she can add nut butters to yogurt, smoothies, and on top of muffins and toast, she can add some cheese to her meals and you can avoid. Keep ice cream and fruit in the freezer for each of you to dish up appropriate servings. Be creative, good luck!
  • Ssssanne
    Ssssanne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your daughter can eat the same things but I'd look to add in additional calories. Calories that don't look like more, if that's the issue. Things like olive oil, nuts, butter.
    • You eat a salad (lean protein, vegetables, light dressing) > daughter eats salad with avocado & nuts & high calorie dressing
    • You eat fish, potatoes, vegetables > daughter eats the same with 2 extra teaspoons of olive oil on fish/veggies. Maybe some mayo or high calorie sauce to dip into
    • For yourself use a cooking spray to save on calories, for your daughter cook in olive oil or butter
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The best advice here is you two eat the same thing, hers just needs more calories. So, either she simply eats more of it --- or if eating a high volume of food is tough -- add foods that are calorie dense/low volume: full fat ingredients, literally adding olive oil or butter to her dish, avocado, dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter, etc.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both on MFP.

I’m extremely active and in maintenance.

He’s moderately active and still trying to lose, although not busting his butt.

I eat 1,000 calories a day more than him.

He eats light breakfasts and lunches. I load up because I’m top heavy in activity in the mornings. I make my own breakfasts- four batches of protein rich pancakes at a time so all I have to do is microwave a batch. He makes egg whites, toast with grits for a light breakfast. Neither of us is tempted by the others breakfast at all.

Ditto lunches. He has a light deli meat sandwich, while I make a wrap or huge salad with many ounces of chicken I’ve grilled and chopped earlier in the week.

Dinners are where we meet. We both have the same dinner, but I usually eat twice as much meat as him. We split everything else.

And desserts are usually a light homemade ice cream which we split, and then I’ll have something else, upstairs, while he watches TV downstairs, so he’s not tempted.

It’s totally doable. We’ve done this for over a year now. I’ve managed to maintain and he to lose about fifty pounds.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    PS: it’s even easy for him to copy my meals from my diary, adjust quantities and log. Just takes him a few seconds. The job of recording them in the first place is on me, but that’s fine because I’m doing the weighing and cooking anyway. Making it so easy for him has really helped move him along