Itchy skin after weight loss?

Options
I’ve lost about 67lbs so far and I’m noticing I’m super itchy on my stomach where some stretch marks are. I apply lotion daily thinking maybe it’s just really dry but they are still itchy. Anyone else have this issue?/ what did you use to stop the itch?

Replies

• AlainaS0721
    AlainaS0721 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m 23 and it feels like an itch that can’t be satisfied. Some nights I can’t sleep because I’m scratching all night long
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    When I'm not as hydrated as I should be, my areas with more scar tissue are itchier. Congrats on losing so much! Maybe it's time to check in with a doctor to see how you are on the inside if you haven't lately.
  • Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to alarm you, but excessive itching can be a sign of liver problems. Although, years ago I had an itchy red spot that covered almost my whole calf. As soon as I stopped using liquid fabric softener, it went away. I had always used that fabric softener, so it wasn't new. I also have no idea why it was only one calf when my clothes were all over my body. Bodies are weird. Try to think of anything new you've used lately too and discontinue for a while. Maybe you'll get lucky and figure it out on your own if it's an allergy.
  • hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost about 67lbs so far and I’m noticing I’m super itchy on my stomach where some stretch marks are. I apply lotion daily thinking maybe it’s just really dry but they are still itchy. Anyone else have this issue?/ what did you use to stop the itch?

Try some hydrocortisone cream, you can buy it otc at most pharmacies, bio oil is reputedly good for stretch marks, your doctor may be able to prescribe you an antihistamine that will help you to sleep and break the itch/scratch cycle, I read the comment re liver issues and itching and although yes thats a thing its usually diffuse bodily itching not localised, I'm sure your doc will be able to advise but I'd try the hydrocortisone in the mean time, good luck
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I had a couple of oddball dermatological issues during/right after weight loss, even though it wasn't mostly fast loss. I have no way of knowing whether weight loss (such as the physical stress of loss) was any part of it - who knows.

For me, it was periorificial dermatitis (red spots, kind of irritated/irritating) around my eye, and chronic paronychia (some weird fingernail splitting stuff, not exactly brittle nails).

I saw a dermatologist, got treated for both things, and they resolved.

Like I said, I don't know if it was directly from weight loss, and I didn't explicitly ask the dermatologist whether that was a possible trigger.

So: I'd say see a doctor about it, a dermatologist if you can. No point in being uncomfortable, if there's a good solution.