Just 10 pounds to lose

Options
Needing some buddies that are seniors to help me keep motivated.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

If you want seniors specifically, maybe check out this thread?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

Don't be dismayed if you open that up and see old posts. Like any long-running thread here, the new posts are at the end, on the high-numbered pages. You can jump straight there with page-number/arrow clicks near the bottom of the page. It's still active.

But don't be afraid to participate in all-ages groups or threads here: Most of us, at any age, face a lot of the same challenges and obstacles, and can learn from each other.

One thing we seniors have going for us, I think, is that we know ourselves pretty well by this point. We have a long history of gaming our own preferences and limitations on the way to achieving big goals via chipping away at them day to day for long time periods. We've done that to get an education, build a career, make a nice home, raise a family, learn complicated hobby skills, or others of that sort of thing. Losing weight (and keeping it off) is no different.

I'm 67, BTW, and was overweight/obese for most of my adult life, 30+ years. I joined MFP at 59, lost to a healthy weight, and have been at a healthy weight for that 7+ years since. I'm not the only one, either. You can do it, too.

Personally, I think motivation is over-rated (and not really a thing others can give us - it comes from within). For me, what worked best was to think in terms of finding new, reasonably easy habits - relatively enjoyable eating and activity patterns - that I could keep up long term, to reach and then stay at a healthy weight.

"Lose weight fast" is a trap. Extreme eating restrictions, punitively intense or unpleasant exercise . . . those things don't last, and fortunately they're not necessary. Suffering is optional. Being fat is not a sin that we need to suffer in order to expiate. It's just the result of long-term habits that have become our default . . . and we can change those habits. (Doing it gradually is fine.)

Instead of "lose weight fast", think "lose weight (relatively) easily". Find the habits that work for you: Enjoyable eating patterns that keep you full (mostly), are practical and affordable. Ways of adding more movement to your life (not necessarily formal exercise) that ideally are fun, but at least are tolerable, practical, repeatable.

I'm kind of a sub-par MFP friend (more of a Community forum kind of gal), so I don't post much on that side of things. But I'm over here cheering for you to succeed, and I'm confident that you can.

If something doesn't work for you, you haven't failed: You just haven't found the right tactics yet. Keep trying things until something feels like it can stick. Don't give up. One off day here or there is a drop in the ocean. Find the relatively-easy daily routine patterns, things you can do the majority of days, things that bring you good results.

Best wishes!