Options
Hello...My name is Lisa....I have been a member for about 3 months...but just took time to figure out how to post. A little about me...I am almost 61 and have been heavy all my life. The last three years have been a rough road, diabetes, non hopkins lymphoma and a mystery lung disease. I am on the mend and plan to make my second choice count. I have lost 10 pounds in about 2 and a half months. Just looking for support. You will have to be patient as I am not computer savvy .

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options
    Hi, Lisa, and welcome to the Community side of MFP!

I just wanted to stop by your thread and offer encouragement: You're doing great so far - slow and steady is perfect! (That's especially true if you're still recovering from some of your physical and health challenges, even in the later phases of that. Calories and nutrition are needed for healing, in all senses of the word "healing".)

We're in a little different spots, since I joined up here around your age (I was 59) and am now in maintenance. I'd actually gotten active - after decades of being pretty sedentary - in my later 40s after full-bore treatment for stage III cancer (surgery, chemo, radiation) when I realized that if I wanted to feel strong and vital ever again, I was going to need to work at it. Rather stupidly, I stayed fat until 59-60, when I lost from class 1 obese to a healthy weight, and I've been at a healthy weight (still athletically active) since, now 67. I could not have predicted the quality of life improvement that came from either and especially both of those things . . . and not all at the end, either, but by bits all along the way.

You're on a wonderful course. It will require patience and persistence, but you can do it.

I'm cheering for you!
  • rdevins01
    rdevins01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! I started this today. We are similar. I will be 61 on June 1. Seven years ago I joined Weight Watchers and lost 35 lbs. I kept it off for 4 years until I was diagnosed with breast cancer and through treatment (chemo, radiation and now Tamoxifen) I gained 18 lbs. I joined a gym 4 months ago and have built up my strength but I eat more to kind of reward myself...lol. I am feeling very confident that I will have success in losing the 18lbs and keeping it off. Let's inspire each other!