Food scale

I got a scale because someone was gonna help with me weighing my food to get in shape but they backed out. Now looking for help

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    edited April 2023
    kidde65 wrote: »
    I got a scale because someone was gonna help with me weighing my food to get in shape but they backed out. Now looking for help

You put the different foods on the scale. That being said, first, zero out the scale by putting the container you will be weighing in on the scale empty, then press the zero button. Ensure that the scale is reading zero with the container on the scale. Then put the food on and read the weight. Honestly, that's pretty much all there is to it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,788 Member
    A few tips:
    • Assembling a salad in a bowl, a stew in a pan, sandwich on a plate? Put the bowl/pan/plate on the scale, zero, add an ingredient, note the weight, zero, add the next ingredient, note the weight . . . .
    • Using something from a carton or jar, or cutting a slice from a hunk of cheese? Put the container or chunk on the scale, zero, take out portion, note the negative value (it's the amount you took out).
    • Eating a whole apple, banana, un-hulled strawberries, corn on the cob? Weigh the ready-to-eat food, eat the yummy parts, weigh the core/hulls/peel, subtract & note.
    • I like to keep a few clean plastic yogurt-tub lids around to weigh small items, like a handful of nuts or chopped hardboiled eggs or something. Drop the lid on the scale, zero, add item, note weight, eat or use - just a quick rinse of the lid under the faucet & you're done.
    • I also use an old junk-mail envelope to scribble the items while I’m cooking to spare spills on my electronic device, and record the results after.
    No measuring spoons to scrape out, or wash, except when you need to measure liquids . . . and you can weigh some liquids, too.
  • trevorxsantos
    trevorxsantos Posts: 1 Member
    Scales are excellent for weighting all types of foods. I usually use a food scale to weight potato chips, and snacks so that I can get accurate count of calories per nutrition label. It is also great for weighting meats and drinks.

You can always message me if you have any questions
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,140 Member
    You haven't told us a lot of things about yourself. In general... do you need to lose a little or a lot of weight to be considered "normal" weight? Do you tend to choose or make your own meals, or are they provided for you?
  • kidde65
    kidde65 Posts: 2 Member
    I am trying to lose weight I am currently 221 and to start I would like to be under 200. And my food I mostly east fast food because I work 7 days a week 12 a days. And I would like to meal prep

• bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Watch out for the scales doing the auto-turn off! some scales have an auto turn off after a minute or two, so make sure you have everything out as needed before you weigh, so if you forget anything you're not rushing to get it before it turns off.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,140 Member
    So you have several options.

a) Log your food. See how many calories you're spending. Make changes. Do you need TWO sandwiches and a large order of fries plus a pop or milkshake? (hey, that was me not even 10 years ago, and I didn't even consider it to be much) How about a coke zero instead? How about a medium fry? How about one sandwich... you're already losing weight.

b) learn to cook, food prep all the good stuff. You're more than likely to get healthier food where you actually control the quality of the ingredients. But... you have to want to do this. Truly. Because you'll have to buy the food and prepare and prep it. Which means using some of your off time to do so.

So... DO YOU? Or in almost no time you would want to do something else with your time instead?

Ultimately the solutions you adopt have to work for YOUR personal situation.

So using a food scale is trivial. Honestly. Put on your science cap and weight and log everything you're using and don't forget to log it! But finding correct entries on MFP to log with? That's just as much if not more work! :wink: